Jhpiego seeks a Senior Laboratory and Supply Chain Advisor for an upcoming a Department of Defense-funded community-based HIV program in Zambia. The program aims to support the Defence Forces of Zambia (DFZ) to provide standardized, evidence-based interventions that are designed to promote adoption of HIV prevention behaviors and service uptake for all military and other uniformed services as well as other priority populations served by the military health services. The program will emphasize capacity building across the program focus areas of HIV prevention, HIV Testing Services and Health System Strengthening. The program will operate over a four-year period.
The Advisor will provide technical expertise in the areas of laboratory services and capacity building and supply chain management. The Sr. Lab and Supply Chain Advisor will operate under the leadership of the Program Director and Jhpiego’s senior management team, and work closely with the global HIV, Malaria and Infectious Disease team based in Baltimore, MD, USA. This position will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of the project’s lab and supply chain activities. In collaboration with ZDF and USG, project team, Ministry of Health (MOH), and other implementing partners, the position will support the design and implementation of laboratory and supply chain strategies based on scientific evidence, innovations and best practices.
This position is contingent upon award from the Department of Defense/ Department of Defense HIV/AIDS Prevention Program (DOD/DHAPP). Zambian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of laboratory and supply chain project activities
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of project activities
- Oversee inventory control, forecasting, and ensure the procurement of laboratory reagents to ensure that laboratory services are uninterrupted
- Make recommendations, with appropriate DFZ, MOH, and IP counterparts, regarding commodity management and distribution of medicines or commodities, such as treatment regimens, laboratory reagents, equipment, male circumcision (MC) kits and TB, as well as coordinating and advising on commodity management and distribution policy across DOD/DHAPP health programs.
- Conducting routine visits to laboratories to assess achievements, review/evaluate activities, and provide recommendations with the development of improvement plans to resolve any identified problems.
- Provide technical assistance support and training to national and provincial level counterparts as related to supply chain and logistics.
- Monitor laboratory quality and adherence to quality systems, method validation, provision of proficiency testing panels for rapid HIV testing, viral load, CD4, TB, STI and other tests critical to HIV epidemic control.
- Coordinate with other DOD/DHAPP projects working in supply chain strengthening, pharmaceutical services and several other programs that manage the procurement of a wide variety of health commodities, providing technical assistance and support for collaboration on commodity projects managed by other DOD/DHAPP implementing partners as needed.
- Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, curricula, and/or supervisory systems needed for implementation of the project to meet the needs of the donor and the Government of Zambia
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational levels in their specific areas of expertise
- Provide technical assistance for conducting site assessments and strengthening referral systems, in-service education, and supportive supervision
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted HIV services
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of services
- Identify and implement appropriate strategies to address service delivery gaps
- Identify training needs for healthcare providers and assist in the design and implementation of measures to address those needs
- Work closely with the Program Director on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Work with M&E staff to design and implement a plan to track data/results to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners to ensure activities conform to requirements and regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation and contribute to reports of project activities and results to the donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports, and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches within their technical areas of expertise
- Supervise technical staff
- Maintain excellent relationships with the donor and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses to requests
- Provide technical leadership to the development of the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with the donor, government of Zambia, and other stakeholders, to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- Master’s degree in a relevant field including pharmacy, logistics and supply chain management, leadership and strategic management, business administration, public health, or related degree.
- 7+ years of experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in one or more of the following areas: Laboratory services; supply chain management; HIV testing services; and/or HIV treatment services
- 5+ years of experience working in Zambia in procurement and supply chain management, or other relevant pharmacy or health commodities logistics sector.
- Experience working with priority health programs (HIV/TB), as well as supply chain and pharmaceutical management systems specific to HIV/TB.
- Knowledge of technical and programmatic approaches in public health sector procurement and supply management required, including all aspects of supply chain and its role in health sector programming.
- Demonstrated capabilities in capacity building at the organizational and individual levels, and experience working effectively with the government of Zambia
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; training; performance and quality improvement; and monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the healthcare system in Zambia, particularly the public health system
- Familiarity with DOD/DHAPP’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with DOD/DHAPP, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
To apply for this job please visit jobs-jhpiego.icims.com .