Senior Engineer, Mine Planning
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
25 October 2021
Within Zambia , Solwezi , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To drive the planning, development and implementation of the mines’ long term growth plans and to ensure optimal extraction of targeted ore from the mine by providing timely advice on mine design and mining sequence.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
• Developing long term mining plans and schedules to achieve consistency with the life of mine objectives, and taking ownership of mining schedules for the annual financial budgets and 5-year plans.
• Mine optimisations based on Whittle, involving liaison with geologists, mining engineers, metallurgists, financial staff, geotechnical engineers, and so on, to compile optimisation parameters. Be able to oversee the optimisation processes and sensitivity studies.
• Final and staged mine designs of a standard able to directly set out crests, toes and ramps in the pit; interrogation of block models and grade control models.
• Scheduling on various time and geographical scales, from life of mine to monthly plans, from whole pits to cutbacks and benches.
• Scheduling various scenarios to test cost effectiveness and realism of mine plans to ensure an optimum ramp-up of production
• Haul profiling and equipment studies; stockpile and waste dump designs.
• Input into mine costings and assist the financial department in the calculation and presentation of financial data. Be responsible for mine planning statistical data.
• Coordinate the (prior/post) construction or placement of ramps, roadways and storm water management Drainages/Ponds.
• Perform quarterly performance reviews with all direct reports.
• Advise and support direct reports in the execution of their duties and counsel employees regarding poor performance
• Ensure mine development is to plan, optimising the extraction of all ore above target grades.
• Able to work alongside and assist the short-term planner with bench plans and Blastmasters.
• Attend daily, weekly and monthly planning meetings with mine production [contractors].
• Provide training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an ongoing basis, with a particular focus on Zambian employees
• Other duties as directed by the Supervisor
• Beng/BSc in Mining Engineering
• Proven track record in mine planning of hard-rock open-pits, and some exposure to an ore-blending strategy
• A minimum of 7 years’ relevant experience in an open pit mining environment
• Some knowledge of ore body modelling would be advantageous
• A good understanding of a 3D-mine planning software – Surpac and Datamine
• A good understanding of a mine scheduling package – MineSched and Runge OPMS
• A good knowledge of a haul profile and fleet optimisation package.
• Fluent in Microsoft office packages – Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Power BI
• Be able to work in a dynamic team environment
• An eye for detail and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement
• English speaking with strong communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to get involved in a hands on manner
• Outcomes focus and orientation is essential
• People management skills
• Sound and systematic planning and coordination skills.
• Bold initiative
• Thinking safely
• Upholding quality
• Technical Skill
• Driving quantity
• Driving attendance
• Overtime and standby when required
• Exposure to dust / heat
• Drivers’ license
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.