Job Advert- Secondary Vice Principal Pastoral (Ref: SEC006)
Based in Lusaka, Zambia, Lusaka International Community School (LICS) is a co-educational, secular, fee-paying, non-profit school, which provides an internationally recognised education to a culturally diverse, globally-minded student body in a caring and supportive learning environment. LICS holds in high esteem its vision statement which is to “maximise the potential of future world citizens”.
LICS is a leading independent Pre-Primary, Primary, and Secondary School based in the leafy suburb of Roma in Lusaka, Zambia, and is a member of CIS, AISA, and ISAZ.
The school is in an exciting phase of facility and curriculum development and will offer the incumbent an enriching and enjoyable sense of professional fulfillment. For more information about Zambia, please visit, https://www.zambiatourism.com/
We seek to appoint a Secondary Vice Principal Pastoral with effect 1 August 2021.
LICS offers an attractive remuneration package paid in US$. A tax-free gratuity is paid upon successful completion of each contract. Fully furnished modern accommodation and monthly utility expenses are covered by the school. Exceptional Medical Insurance is offered along with a range of other benefits such as generous and meaningful professional development, settling-in allowances, baggage allowances, etc.
- Job Purpose
To assist in Leading, developing, and managing the Secondary School of LICS in an inspired, motivated, and dynamic way. To strive for optimal academic performance from each learner by maintaining teaching standards and quality in staff in a caring and supportive environment. To support the Community Service efforts and enable the sports and extra curricula program to function effectively within the school day. To lead the pastoral care team and have an overall knowledge of the needs of all learners
- Leadership knowledge and understanding
- Skills and practices of leadership
- Leadership values and attributes
- Professional relationships in leadership
- Leading teaching and learning
- Leading innovation and improvement
- Establishing management systems
- Community engagement
- Qualifications and Qualities:
- BEd / BA (QTS) / PGCE or equivalent.
- Qualifications and training relevant to the leadership position
- Registration with a Teachers’ Accreditation / Registration Body.
- Senior leadership skills (motivator, discipline, initiative, professional manner)
- Willingness to optimize, communicate and coordinate, and continuous review processes
- Proven and respectful communication skills within a diverse cultural teaching staff, with students and parents/business partners
- Proven skills/record in management of a department/area in an international school
- Proven experience in pastoral care and/or an academic department.
- Proven track record of management of learner disciplinary issues.
- Knowledge and experience of data analysis and student tracking.
- IT literacy, knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint within the Microsoft Office Professional Package
- Have the ability to be pro-active, using foresight using planning skills to help move the school forward.
- Be a team player
- Key Responsibilities/Accountabilities
Learner welfare and performance
- Develop a fully inclusive pastoral care system across all year groups, taking the lead on all areas pertaining to learner welfare.
- Oversee the secondary PTC schedule.
- Lead on development (with the secondary senior leadership team) of systems of tracking and monitoring student’s academic performance.
- With the vice-principal academic, oversee intervention programs for learners who are underachieving.
- With the Key Stage Leaders and secondary principal review and develop a system of rewards and sanctions.
- Oversee the effective implementation of the secondary school house system.
- With the Key Stage Leaders, oversee the effective implementation of the secondary school PSHE program (relevant to each year group)
- With the Key Stage, Leaders monitor and manage learner attendance, working with families if/when the need arises.
- Monitor, report on, and take necessary action on all elements related to learner attendance
- Act as the secondary Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)
- Chair the weekly learner of concern meeting with other key stakeholders.
- Lead training on all elements of child protection and safeguarding
- Ensure that learners feel safe and secure within the school environment.
- Undertake child protection and safeguarding training relevant to the role.
- With the KS Leaders, develop and implement systems that support and provide pupils with opportunities to seek help or advice from their peers or from appropriate adults.
Policy development and communications
- Ensure that the secondary environment is safe, well maintained, and in keeping with the health and safety policy
- Coordination contribution to LICS staff policy handbook.
- Development of the LICS Secondary parents handbook
- Contribute weekly to SCOOP newsletter
- Communicate to parents on all pastoral matters.
- Develop and disseminate any required policies relevant to pastoral care.
- Line management, Staff Development, and training
- Line manage all KS Leaders and pastoral staff.
- Line manage the student counselor and (with the Academic VP) oversee the work of the Student Support Services (SEN department)
- Where necessary lead on staff development and training.
- Conduct performance reviews for staff under their management as necessary and in line with school policy.
- Application Process
Please visit our website( https://www.lics.sch.zm/career-opportunities ) and fill in the online application form and upload a detailed CV with a covering letter along with three referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor by 23 rd April, 2021 . Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Lusaka International Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate’s appointment will be subject to full security vetting.
To apply for this job please visit www.lics.sch.zm .