Job Title: Risk & Compliance Specialist
Department: Zambia Customer Finance
Report line: Head of Customer Finance, Zambia
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
About ENGIE BU Africa ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
The Customer Finance Team plays a pivotal role in ensuring the overall success of our largely unbanked customers in completing their loans and getting continued access to clean, reliable energy. The team works cross-functionally with our commercial, customer experience, product development and operations on the ground to ensure that we provide all customers with successful responsible onboarding and offer constant support through adequate monitoring and interventions all the way through the lifetime of our customers’ loans.
The Risk & Compliance Specialist plays a key role in making sure that we have the right policies, processes and controls in place to best serve our customers and manage both credit risk in general and credit operations activities. S/he will take the lead on ensuring that as a company, we are aware of, well-trained on and following these standards. The Risk & Compliance Specialist will be a key leader in combatting customer and field team fraud and product tamper in the field. S/he will work closely with the Customer Finance, Commercial, Customer Experience and Ops teams to make sure that we highlight areas of risk in our customer credit cycle, they will collaborate closely with the Customer Finance Management to build strong systems and processes that effectively mitigate these risks.
Risk Monitoring and Compliance:
- Work with the Head of Customer Finance and other teams inside and outside of Customer Finance to develop robust and permanent compliance monitoring framework following well-defined processes and standards (e.g., audits on sales, home visits or overdue calls)
- Lead the generation of monthly risk and compliance reports for local management and global Customer Finance Compliance manager and make recommendations on how and where compliance and processes can be improved and provide guidance on what resources are needed to implement the recommended mitigation strategy
- Identify root causes of operational non-compliance incl. Fraud and work with the Head of Customer Finance, the Call Center Manager and field team management to create action plans to address these areas
- Work with Head of Customers Finance and the Global Customer Finance Team to make recommendations on credit risk limits and tolerance thresholds across different products, business units (regions, districts, etc.), teams or team members, etc., monitor performance against those limits, and support action plan development for mitigation.
- Where major issues are identified lead the deep-dive investigation, reporting and make recommendation on how the systems can be improved.
- Own and maintain the Customer Finance policies and procedures
- Where policy, procedure and control gaps are identified or new processes and tools are to be implemented, collaborate with the Customer Finance Operations Lead to ensure drafting and operationalizing of new policies, procedures and internal control processes and tools as needed (e.g. non-compliance prevention and detection tools and controls around people, process and technology)
- Ensure that all policies and procedures have a. plan in place for monitoring compliance and take the lead on ensuring the monitoring is implemented and reported on
- Ensure Risk compliance is tracked as pert of CF Country KPIs
Fraud Management & Reporting:
- Act as the central repository for all internal and external Customer Finance related, operational non-compliance cases being raised in the field or over the phone with a focus on fraud
- Consolidate all live cases to generate reports for management and ensure they are all reported through the correct ENGIE channels
- Take the lead on close collaboration with and between the office and field teams to follow up on and resolve fraud cases as they arise and make transparent major gaps and learnings
- Monitor and report on Tamper cases ensuring relevant teams are notified and appropriate follow up actions are taken
- Communicate on a regular basis with Management & Customer Finance Central Team to ensure alignment and have support for country strategies
- Driving development and implementation of credit culture, inherent principles, and values in alignment with ENGIE’s purpose, principles, and values.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
Required Skills & Experience
- University Degree in Banking, Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Minimum 2 years’ professional experience Risk Management, portfolio management at an MFI, Bank, SME-related bank, MNO or similar
- Strong analytical skills, attention to details and able to assess risk while protecting the interest of customers and the business.
- Ability to develop action plans to achieve work outputs, identify resources required, and implement the action plan.
- Good interpersonal skills, Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Leadership, management, organizational and people management skills.
- Computer skills are essential
- Demonstrated ability working across teams and functions
- Keen eye for detail and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it
- Exceptional judgement, problem-solving skills, and ability to “Think Big & Make it Happen” both independently and collaboratively
- Deep empathy for the customer and commitment to inclusivity, consumer protection, & responsible financial services within the context of creating a profitable, scalable enterprise
- Excitement about ENGIE’s mission and a deep desire to make an impact on off-grid and financially underserved customers in sub-Saharan Africa
- Commitment to spending time in the field to support and mentor field teams
- Proficiency in oneor more languages spoken by our customers is a big plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience using data analysis tools e.g. Excel, SQL, Python/R etc. To analyze processes/ performance and make suggestions & improvements is a big plus
- Being tech-savy is a must
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io .