Researcher - Scaling Water Solutions
Jobs at:International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
Deadline of this Job:
01 August 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a Researcher who will support IWMI’s role in the Accelerating Impacts of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa (AICCRA) and related projects. Disciplinary expertise will relate to the field of agricultural innovation scaling, climate-smart agriculture, development informatics, and international sustainability management. The position will lead scientific research in scaling climate-smart agriculture and information services, outreach and multi-stakeholder partnership activities for the AICCRA project and related projects.
The position will be hosted by The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Lusaka, Zambia.
The position holder would be required to;
• Conduct field data/secondary data collection, literature syntheses, interviews and other forms of research activities in relation to scaling climate-smart agriculture practices (e.g. adaptive scaling of solar irrigation, drought tolerant seed varieties, smart water management etc), extension and climate advisory service delivery and communication technologies for smallholder agriculture.
• Coordinate AICCRA’s partner activities in Zambia e.g. workshops, dialogues, multi-stakeholder dialogue space events, accelerator grant mechanism implementation and broad stakeholder engagement.
• Analyze irrigation supply chains and financing modalities with the aim to identify entry points for enhancing access to CSA practices/technologies in bottom of pyramid markets;
• Identify partnerships, policies and institutional requirements for testing approaches, technologies and investment propositions that have strong scaling potential. Facilitate collaboration among partners and researchers to pilot new technical, institutional or financial solutions to sustainably and equitably incentivize uptake.
• Facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogues with public and private sector actors, and coordinate the development and dissemination of regular communication (including communication products and outputs) to stakeholders participating in the MSD space.
• PhD degree in human geography, political science, sociology, ICT4development, or a closely related field relevant to water resources management, agricultural development, and agricultural innovation systems and scaling.
• Proven experience of 3 years in scaling of climate-smart agricultural innovation, ICT4Agricultural development, value chain development or agriculture market systems in Africa, and specifically, in Zambia.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Ability to conduct research in the areas of climate-smart agricultural innovation scaling, social inclusion, and agricultural value chains in Zambia.
• Ability to facilitate and maintain strong multi-stakeholder partnerships in the agri-business ecosystem, and irrigation in Zambia particularly with the private sector.
• Ability to apply technical, economic and institutional theories to innovation scaling and policy issues in a critical manner.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively with academic and non-academic stakeholders.
• Open mindset and ability to learn.
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multi-institutional and multicultural environment.
• Excellent communication skills in English.
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an attractive retirement plan, comprehensive international health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, long-term disability insurance coverage and a transportation allowance. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possible extension.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Apply for the position by following the application instructions at www.iwmi.org/jobs . We will be accepting applications through 24:00 hrs (Sri Lanka time) on 1 August 2021 (Sunday). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please click here to apply.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.