Based in Lusaka, Zambia, Lusaka International Community School (LICS) is a co-educational, secular, fee-paying, non-profit school, which provides an internationally recognised education to a culturally diverse, globally-minded student body in a caring and supportive learning environment. LICS holds in high esteem its vision statement which is to “maximise the potential of future world citizens”.
LICS is a leading independent Pre-Primary, Primary, and Secondary School based in the leafy suburb of Roma in Lusaka, Zambia, and is a member of CIS, AISA, and ISAZ.
The school is in an exciting phase of facility and curriculum development and will offer the incumbent an enriching and enjoyable sense of professional fulfillment. For more information about Zambia, please visit, https://www.zambiatourism.com/
We are seeking to appoint a
Specialist Secondary Head of English with effect 1 August 2021). This role is a management role of the Languages and Arts department (encompassing English, French, Art, and Music) with a requirement to teach English.
To assist the Secondary Leadership Team in raising standards of student attainment and achievement within the department in line with school policies/priorities.
This will include:
- Leading, developing, and managing the quality of teaching
- Monitoring and supporting student progress to raise standards in the quality of learning
- Making strategic evaluations of teaching, learning, personnel, finance and premises issues in the curriculum area of the Department, and,
- Taking responsibility for the development of colleagues within the department.
- Be up to date with the Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE) KS3, IGCSE, and A-Level English curriculum and assessment standards.
- Previous Middle Leadership (minimum 2 years) is essential
- Registration with a Teachers’ Accreditation / Registration Body.
- Leadership knowledge and understanding
- Skills and practices of leadership
- Leadership values and attributes
- Professional relationships in leadership
- Leading teaching and learning
- Leading innovation and improvement
- Establishing management systems
- Community engagement
Qualifications and Qualities:
- Possess a minimum of Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 3 years’ relevant teaching experience.
- Additional qualifications are relevant to the role.
- Be a dynamic, driven person with a desire for educational excellence.
- Be willing to be part of a successful team at a school with a well-established academic record.
- Have a sense of humor.
Teaching and Learning:
- Setting and maintaining high standards of teaching and learning across the age and ability range.
- Reviewing, developing, and refining schemes of work in line with the KS3 Programme of Study and appropriate Key Stage 4 & 5 specifications, and encouraging links with other subjects where appropriate.
- Leading, reviewing, and developing all Department policies and strategies in line with the strategic aims of the school.
- Leading curriculum development for the whole Department.
- Updating Professional knowledge and expertise as appropriate to keep up to date with developments in teaching practice and methodology, in general, and in the subject area in particular.
- Ensuring, in the event of staff absence, that appropriate work is supplied for the use of supply or substitute staff.
- Ensuring the development and coordination of literacy and numeracy skills relevant within the subject(s) in liaison with key school staff, SSS staff, and any other agencies. other relevant faculty staff and/or departments
- Taking a leading role in promoting the Department learning throughout hours of activities if appropriate.
- Managing and developing high-quality teaching resources to match the needs of the curriculum and the different abilities of learners, ensuring the Department’s financial budgets are spent appropriately, to maximise the use to which such budgets are put in terms of teaching and learning and the appropriate use made of resources.
- Developing and enhancing the teaching practice of others by developing self-evaluation strategies within the Department to monitor, evaluate, and improve the quality of teaching through the effective application of any whole school and Department T&L Plans.
Ensuring a high-quality learning environment within the Department by managing and improving:
- The fabric of the classrooms within the Department area.
- Displays and exhibitions of students’ work including references to National Curriculum levels, IGCSE, or A’ Levels grades on display work.
- Classroom behaviour by ensuring that Department policies are consistent with the agreed School Behaviour Policy and its systems.
- Assisting in the School Appraisal process by being responsible for the line management of teachers allocated teaching time within the Department, for the purpose of ensuring the continued delivery of high-quality teaching and learning
- Liaising with the Senior Managers to support teachers within the Department by identifying their professional development needs which will enhance teaching and learning; induction of new teachers to the Department.
Recording, Reporting, and Assessment:
- Being accountable for students’ progress and development within the Department by leading, developing, and enhancing all assessment arrangements within the Department in line with school policy.
- Being accountable for leading, developing, coordinating, and monitoring strategies to raise student achievement, in line with the school’s ‘Assessment for Learning’ targets, making the best use of assessment information.
- Reviewing long term and short term planning to ensure coverage, provision of a range of learning experiences, continuity and progression for all students from one year to the next, and between Key Stages, in line with the school’s targets, making the best use of assessment information to ensure that individual needs are being met.
- Liaising closely with any key-stage leaders (secondary pastoral leaders and relevant tutors) to ensure continuity and progression across the Key Stage.
- Ensuring that Department reports on students are completed to a high professional standard, by the appropriate deadline dates, and are consistent with the school’s reporting arrangements.
- Completing Department evaluations (Overall Effectiveness Reports) in line with School policy as directed by the Principal
- Establishing good relationships, encouraging and celebrating good working practices, supporting, and leading departmental staff.
- Being accountable for leading, managing, and developing the curriculum area.
- Effectively managing and deploying all staff, financial, and physical resources within the department to maximise support for the Department.
- Supporting and maintaining the aims, ethos, and core values of the school and their practical expression through agreed policies.
- Being responsible for the production of a detailed annual Department Improvement Plan for raising student achievement.
- Monitoring progress against the targets and ensuring appropriate action plans are in place where issues are identified.
- Updating the Principal on the progress of the Department Improvement Plan and its associated targets.
- Planning, and organising meetings regularly in line with the published school calendar.
- Leading, supporting, and motivating support staff working within the Department.
- Contributing to management decisions on all aspects of policy formulation, development, and implementation.
- Taking responsibility for implementing whole-school strategies in Teaching and Learning.
- Regular weekly meeting with line manager.
Standards and Quality Assurance:
- Ensure that the Department’s quality procedures meet the requirements of the school’s evaluation strategy and the Improvement plan.
- Strategic vision and plan, developing as necessary a suitable department strategic development plan agreed by all members of the department.
- Attending and participating in open/parent evenings.
- Attending team and staff meetings.
- Ensure that health and safety practices are observed within the Department.
Safeguarding Lusaka International Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate’s appointment will be subject to full security vetting.
Method of Application
Please visit our website and fill in the online application form and upload a detailed CV with a covering letter along with three referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor. Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.