Public Health Officer
Jobs at:UN Volunteers
Deadline of this Job:
20 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Under the supervision of the WHO Country Representative, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
• Support to prevention, preparedness, early detection, response and recovery from COVID-19 outbreak;
• Contribute to all aspects of prevention, preparedness, early detection, response and recovery from acute public health events;
• Support to implementation of surveillance through the components of Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) that include Event-Based Surveillance (EBS) Indicator-based surveillance (IBS), Community Based Surveillance and Sentinel Surveillance;
• To support verification, risk assessment, monitoring and information-sharing on diseases, conditions and events that may constitute a public health emergency of international concern;
• When required, participate in Field Epidemiology activities, including rapid deployment to areas affected by emergencies and outbreaks to provide technical assistance to the local or national authorities and key partners and backstop field epidemiology teams in the gathering and analysis of information for public health action using state-of-the-art technologies and/or the identification and design of suitable surveillance systems in emergencies and implement the standardized WHO Early Warning Alert and Response System (EWARS) where necessary;
• Perform tasks such as data entry, validation and analyses to assist in the formulation of briefing documents and other informational materials;
• Support development of communication products such as situation reports, bulletins, alerts, and other ad-hoc reports using standard tools and templates, and achieve results based on a multi-disciplinary and cross-cutting approach;
• Participate in activities development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), guidelines, tools and manuals;
• Support capacity building and training of colleagues within WHO, partners and GRZ Ministries, Departments and Agencies;
• Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
Required degree level
Master degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Master’s degree or equivalent in medicine, pharmacy, veterinary science, midwifery, nursing, medical biology or a related medical discipline; Advanced degree in epidemiology, public health, international health; In-service training in field epidemiology such as field epidemiology (and laboratory).
At least three years’ experience with successful track record in epidemiology, public health surveillance, control of outbreaks, information management, quantitative methods.
• Field experience in epidemics or public health emergencies;
• Experience in designing and implementing large databases, managing complex flows of information, implementation and interpretation of quantitative research activities;
• Experience in responding to complex humanitarian crises;
• Experience in WHO or UN, UN an asset.
Demonstrated expertise in field epidemiology, quantitative methods, surveillance in the area of emerging/re-emerging diseases in a multi-disciplinary and cross-cutting environment, as well as of database management. Proven ability to link routine health information and epidemiology to project planning, service delivery and/or policy-decision making. Excellent organizational and analytical skills combined with ability to multi-task and produce accurate results under pressure. Excellent interpersonal skills complemented with ability to synthesize information in a clear and concise manner. Tact, diplomacy and courtesy.
• English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
• French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Prerequisites This assignment is funded by JICA, therefore only former Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers (JICA-JOCV) who could get recommendation by JICA-JOCV Secretariat are eligible to apply. Please check your application eligibility here: JICA website. This is a UN Volunteer assignment and eligible candidates must be 25 years of age or older. Selection process Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment, via competency-based interviews held via skype or telephone.
Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’. You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile. Application deadline: 20 June 2021
Please click here to apply.