The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Public Financial Management (PFM) Specialist to join the International Development Division on the Supporting an Aids Free Era (SAFE) project in Zambia. The USAID-funded SAFE project is led by John Snow International and Abt Associates is a sub-contractor. On this project, Abt Associates is responsible for activities involving capacity development in public financial management systems strengthening. The project is providing technical assistance to the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Finance and sub-national level to strengthen public financial management systems, particularly in the use of Microsoft Dynamics NAV (NAV) in effort to improve accountability and transparency in budget execution. This, in turn, will impact SAFE’s main objective: to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical and supportive supervision, coaching and mentorship to provincial, district, hospitals, health training colleges personnel to reinforce the implementation of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV. This relates more particularly to Finance, Procurement and Management staff.
- Provide technical and supportive supervision in planning and Output Based Budgeting (OBB) process through the use of Budget Management Module (BMM) in NAV and assist the MOH to review budgets and expenditures with a focus on equity, efficiency, quality, and transparency.
- Support the MOH in provinces and districts to strengthen the public financial management institutions, policies, processes and procedures that govern the use of public funds with improved compliance to the Public Finance Management Act (2018), financial regulations and procurement laws and regulations.
- Provide regular leadership trainings in the area of public financial management particularly to Non-Finance Managers in all the Sub-National Units (SNUs) where SAFE operates
- Work with Provincial Senior Accountant to provide monthly reports on the performance of provincial institutions in the use of NAV.
- Making recommendations for NAV system improvements to enhance system efficiency.
- At least six years of experience with public financial management systems, eight years of experience preferred
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- Experience with USAID or other donor-funded programs is highly desirable
- Understanding of Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- Excellent computer, communications, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to write technical papers and reports
- Excellent networking and work relations with the government and health partners
- Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy, ACCA, or equivalent preferred.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
To apply for this job please visit career4.successfactors.com .