- Company: WaterAid Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Zambia
It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
WaterAid Zambia is recruiting key experts for an upcoming European Union Funded project entitled Strengthening rights to education through provision of inclusive, clean and healthy learning environments in schools in Nkeyema and Mwandi Districts, Western Province, Zambia.
This project aims to contribute to promoting access to inclusive and equitable education of children and young people (particularly girls, young women and children with disabilities) in Zambia by improving the learning environment in targeted schools in two districts, Nkeyema and Mwandi, in Western Province.
The project will focus on modelling designs and installing inclusive, accessible and gender-responsive WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) facilities, building capacity and strengthening knowledge and awareness among intended beneficiaries in gender, disability and inclusion and social accountability. The project places emphasis on hygiene promotion component that will strengthen response to the COVID-19 threat in the selected schools and surrounding communities
WaterAid Zambia is looking for a Project Manager to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030.
The purpose of this job is :
- Undertake accessibility audits for WASH infrastructure (and general infrastructure) in target schools in the 2 districts
- In collaboration with the department of infrastructure under MOGE, National council for construction, and WA guidelines and life cycle costing to design appropriate WASH infrastructure technologies
- Rehabilitate and install inclusive WASH infrastructure facilities i.e. (Solar powered water networks, female friendly ablution blocks that include facilities for menstrual health),
- Establish, train and support WASH committees in CSE and production of hygienic low cost and climate friendly sanitary materials for girls in schools and for income generation for the schools to sustain provision of sanitary materials.
To be successful, you will need :
- A Degree in Development Studies, or professional qualifications in or other related discipline required
- Extensive experience in programme planning, development and management at managerial level in WASH
- Experience in participatory monitoring and evaluation approaches and proven experience in water and sanitation work in the Zambian context.
- Experience in implementation of integrated programmes and experience in leading development of models and approaches and packaging learning
- A clear understanding of WASH programming and policy contexts
- Sound knowledge of hygiene promotion and sanitation issues.
- Willing and able to travel, predominately to WaterAid and partner locations within the CP with some travel in and outside the region.