- Company: UNOPS
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in ZambiaNGO Jobs in Zambia
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMCO)
UNOPS Kenya Multi Country Office is located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and island states.
Background Information – Job-specific UNOPS has been requested by UNICEF to support MoH Zambia with the procurement and installation of an oxygen production and refilling plant at Kitwe Teaching Hospital (KTH) in Copperbelt Province, Zambia. The Kitwe Teaching Hospital (KTH) serves 5 other districts in the northern part of Copperbelt province in Zambia. Kitwe district has 42 health centers of which 16 are basic emergency obstetric and newborn care (BEMonC) centers.
This project will be implemented as per the Legal Agreement, the Project terms of Reference and the approved Project Plan (Baseline) in compliance with the UNOPS Project Management Manual. The Project Board Executive will direct the project on a quarterly basis. The Project Manager will manage the overall implementation of the project on an ongoing basis, to ensure delivery of planned work packages and deliverables. The implementation will finish only once all project outputs are achieved and the Funding Source/Client is satisfied with the delivery.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Management Support Associate is to support the project in the day-to-day operations of the projects. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals, in the area of project management. S/he must be able to apply, independently, the below duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria.
- Support implementation of operational strategies
- Portfolio planning, administration and management
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of programme/project management, financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up, human resources management, procurement processes and implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Programme/Project Management, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Portfolio planning, administration and management, Ensures efficient and effective, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support of all aspects of project implementation and service delivery in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations?
- Monitoring of progress for all projects/services agreements under his/her responsibility, anticipating operational and budgetary issues and taking pre-emptive action.
- Interaction with colleagues, clients and partners and undertaking of missions, as may be required, to guide operational issues and UNOPS service provision.
- Resolution of operational and process issues, referring complex issues to the supervisor with clear recommendations for courses of action.
- Review of service requests, assessment of their complexity, level of effort and UNOPS service fee levels for compliance with the UNOPS self-financing principle, and feedback prior to acceptance of projects for execution and/or service requests.
- Preparation of service request documents and analysis of submissions for project and/or UNOPS service acceptance.
- Fostering of client relationships.
- Support in the provision of operational, budgetary and financial guidance to project personnel. Assisting in preparation of project budgets and revisions and other related documents.
- Support in the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required. Provide support in the preparation of contracts for services, memorandum of agreement, interagency agreement, grant agreements.
- Monitoring of expenditures and advice to clients/partners and funding agencies on budget status.
- Provide support in interview panels with view to staff selection and recruitment? Identification of consultants/experts, initiation of recruitment and preparation of TOR. Processing of all administrative requirements (e.g. funding source, clearances, and documentation) and request to Global Service Centre and/or integrated teams, to undertake recruitment action? follow-up to completion.
- Support in verification of accuracy of request/transactions and completeness of documentation
- Initiation of action and certification for approval at the higher level as may be required. Monitoring of expenditures, regularly informing supervisor and clients of budget status and any need to reallocate resources to meet objectives.
- Planning, organization and implementation of training, conference and all necessary logistics.
- Assist in the preparation of briefing materials as required for mission travel and/or discussion on project activities.
- Any other duties as assigned
3. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project and service activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Coaching and/or mentoring of colleagues on portfolio management and service administration and encouraging feedback to lead to process improvement and standardization.
- Publication and sharing of information and knowledge with colleagues, clients and partners.
- Participation in the training for the programme, operations and projects staff on programme/project management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Project Management Support Associate directly impacts on achievement of project results by adhering to project management methods and strategies, reducing risks, cutting costs and improving success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Completion of secondary school combined with 6 years of professional experience is required;
- Diploma Certificate in Business Administration, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Procurement, Management, International Relations and or other relevant disciplines combined with four (4) years of relevant professional experience may be considered but not mandatory;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Procurement, Management, International Relations and or other relevant discipline combined with two (2) years of relevant professional experience may be considered but not required.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in administrative and project/ programme management support services is required;
- Experience working in financial reporting, operational transactions, budget preparation will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of ERP (oneUNOPS) systems is an asset.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Project Management, Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Experience /knowledge of web-based applications and Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs and slides is an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English is required
- Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
- Contract level: ICS 6/ LICA 6
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Zambia Nationals or applicants with valid residence.
- This position is based in a family duty station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.