- Company: Save the Children International
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children. Our Vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. In Zambia, Save the Children works in the following Thematic areas: Education, Health& Nutrition, Child Protection, Child Rights Governance and Child Poverty; including Humanitarian response. Save the Children wishes to invite qualified individuals to apply for the following position:
Position: Program Development Manager Duty Station: Lusaka Role Purpose: The Program Development Manager (PDM) is a middle-level position within the Country Office. In cooperation with Save the Children member countries and in collaboration with the country office Zambia, the PDM will identify and track donor opportunities, facilitate donor engagement, assist in the development of fundraising strategies, lead the new business and proposal decision, design and development process for all funding opportunities. The position requires innovative thinking and creativity to package our programme strategies in ways that attract the right donor support and grow out portfolio effectively. S/He will write sections of proposals that speak to our overall capabilities, while coordinating the input of technical advisors, Operations and field office implementation staff, Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Security into proposals and budgets. Recognizing that many conversations with donors involve a review or update around current grants as well as discussions about new opportunities, the Program Development Manager will be expected to stay closely informed about the progress of all major institutional grants and able to speak to results in key reporting documents, including supporting on some review of large strategic reports.
Reports to: Director of Programme Development & Quality
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- As a member of the Zambia Country Programme, demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
- Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment typified by team work and collaboration;
- Contribute to the wider country programme agenda.
- Support the effective implementation the SCI Programme Quality Framework
- Contribute to providing technical assistance and capacity building for and with partners on proposal development and new business development as needed.
New Program Development
- Reporting to the Director of Programme Quality and Development (DPDQ) develop and submit a comprehensive Business Development Strategy and Process, in line with the Country Strategy, for SMT contributions and approval
- Oversee the implementation and follow-up of Business Development Strategy and Process, reporting monthly to the DPDQ.
- Identify, research, and disseminate information on new funding opportunities from bilateral, multi-lateral, and other institutional donors. Use creative approaches to link SCI and Zambia programme ambitions to donor priorities, while also effectively contributing to SCI Zambia and Save the Children Members’ efforts to influence the strategies of donors.
- Support the cultivation of business relationships with external stakeholders and potential partners for large scale or strategic funding opportunities and help shape and contribute to strategies and ambitions for priming or subbing in joint ventures.
Facilitate donor engagement
- Lead the development and regular updating of the donor engagement strategy, in line with the funding strategy, to assist in growing the Zambia portfolio, consistent with the Country Strategy
- Cultivate excellent working relationships with donor agencies at regional and country level as appropriate and in close collaboration with the DPDQ and Programs
- Participate in any donor visit to project(s) within the country office portfolio, as needed.
- Support regular donor check-in/update visits with major institutional donors in Zambia
- Work with technical advisors and SMT colleagues to set ambitious targets for donor engagement and to influence donor strategies.
Coordinate program design and proposal development
- Directly manage the development of high-value, complex proposals or bids, building on global, regional and national SCI Technical and Thematic expertise, ensuring the highest quality products are submitted to the member and the donor.
- Coordinate closely with Save the Children members to kick-off, plan and effectively carryout the proposal development process, supporting the coordination and implication of technical and awards staff in both offices, ensuring regular communication and updating of members throughout the process.
- Drive interdepartmental coordination for programme and proposal development, including ensuring the identification of a Technical Advisors lead and in close cooperation and inclusion of the Operations, particularly the field office team implementation and technical teams, Supply Chain (procurement and other logistical needs), Security, Awards Management (risk management and compliance), Finance (activity and support costings, etc), and HR (for staffing requirements).
The post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Skilled in social sciences, development area with a relevant masters’ degree.
- Proven track record in producing winning bids, proposals, and reports for institutional donors, corporations and others, with excellent writing skills
- Proven ability to design high quality programs
- Recommended 5-7 years’ experience in both an emergency and development contexts, preferably with solid experience in at least 2 priority sectors of Save the Children: education, protection, child rights governance, health and nutrition or child poverty.
- Excellent coordination, organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, and pull together input from a diverse team.
- Excellent writing/editing, reporting, budget development and presentation/communication skills.
- Experience in presenting project information to donors and partners.
- Experience in coordinating development of large-scale or strategic proposals, including the development of multi-million-dollar project budgets.
- Proven representation skills.
- Cultural awareness mastering and ability to work in an international environment with people from many diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets.
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.