Jobs at:Ministry of Health
Deadline of this Job:
03 September 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, August 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (P167916)
The Ministry of Health with support from the World Bank is implementing the Africa CDC Regional Investment Financing Project (ACDCP). The Project will support the development of vital institutional capacities to execute measurable functions at the Africa CDC headquarters in Addis Ababa, the Southern Africa Regional Coordinating Centre (SA-RCC) in Lusaka, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) and the Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI].
The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to support Africa CDC to strengthen continental and regional infectious disease detection and response Systems
The Zambia chapter of this project seeks to provide institutional strengthening to the Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) and support operationalization of the Africa CDC Southern Africa Regional Collaborating Centre (SA-RC based in Lusaka, Zambia. The Project will include the construction, equipping, and staffing of a Biosafety Level 3 B5L-3) National Public Health Reference Laboratory and Office Complex that will serve as a Regional Centre of Excellence and provide additional capacity to support the Southern Africa region. The project will be implemented by Ministry of Health through Zambia National Health Institute of Public Health (ZNPHI)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the following position under the ACDCP
Position: Procurement Specialist (1 post)
a) Duty Station: Zambia National Public Health Institute, MoH, Lusaka
b) Reports to: Project Coordinator - ACDCP
Objectives of the Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to support implementation of the ACDCP procurement activities in accordance with World Bank's Procurement Regulations and other requirements stipulated in the Project Documents, as well as the efficient management of all procurement contracts and related instruments
• Preparing Project's Annual Procurement Plan detailing contract packages for works, goods and services, the estimated cost for each package, the procurement or selection methods and processing times till completion of each procurement activity in consultation with the various stakeholders for the project:
• Monitoring procurement implementation and updating of procurement plans annually and whenever it becomes necessary to do so.
• Preparing procurement documentation for goods, works and non-consulting services including Specific Procurement Notices (SPN), Invitation for Bids, advertisements, Request for Quotation documents, organizing and conducting bid openings, evaluation reports, obtaining the necessary approvals and No Objection Letters from the World Bank where required, arranging for the contract signing and distribution to the appropriate authorities:
• Preparing procurement documentation for consulting services including lasing with the technical teams on preparing Terms of Reference, Requests for Expressions of interest (Eon, advertisements, evaluating EO and creating shortlists, preparing Request for Proposal documents, evaluating proposals, obtaining the necessary clearances from the World Bank where required, assisting in contract negotiations, minutes of negotiations, draw up draft contracts and making arrangements for contract signing and distributing to the appropriate authorities
• Coordinating and ensuring timely responses to clarifications sought by bidders or shortlisted consultants as may be required:
• Ensuring all procurement activities are carried out in accordance with the agreed procedures, including the Financing Agreement: The World Bank's Procurement Regulations; and Government of Malawi Public Procurement and disposal of Public Assets Act
• Ensuring compliance with procurement methods and prior review thresholds applicable to the project
• Coordinating responses to inquiries and communicate the results of the evaluation process to bidders or consultants, in keeping with World Bank’s Procurement Regulations:
• Preparing minutes of bid evaluation panel meetings, and requests for no objection, and coordinating arrangements for the negotiation process, where necessary:
• Coordinating acquisition of Bank No Objections using the World Bank's Systematic Tracking of Exchanges in Procurement (STEP) where applicable and make follow-ups where necessary, and update procurement records in STEP;
• Ensuring all indications of unethical practices in procurement/contract management, and/or signs of inconsistencies with the legal documents) and the World Bank's Procurement Regulations are addressed and as needed brought to the attention of the Project Facilitation Team Coordinator:
• Effectively communicate with all Implementing Agents for the ACDC, provide guidance to, and train officers Involved in the procurement of goods, works, and services regarding the specific procurement procedures in accordance with the World Bank Regulations and country laws governing the project procurement
• Establishing and maintaining a procurement records system, including maintaining of contracts register with complete "paper trail of procurement and implementation of each contract from planning, to the procurement process and contract awards/extensions, un contract completion;
• Preparing Quarterly procurement and contract implementation monitoring reports using the formats in accordance with the agreed upon legal document(s), and ensure that the reports are submitted to the Project Coordinator for submission to the Bank through STEP and relevant authorities in a timely manner,
• Drafting correspondences on procurements requesting internal management review and approval of and required clearances and approvals as shown in the procurement plan
• Providing technical support to the Project Implementation Team in the various procurement selection steps of the procurement cycle and ensure compliance to the applicable procedures and guidelines,
• Handling bidders and consultants’ complaints and debriefings by ensuring that they are all addressed adequately and in a timely manner and to maintain a complaints database;
• Ensuring adequate arrangements exist for contract administration, implementation and supervision and on the performance of suppliers, contractors and consultants in all contracts under the project,
• Following up timely processing of payments to suppliers/contractors of goods, works and services in accordance with the signed contract, as well as to ensure that suppliers/contractors honor all the contractual obligations and terms and conditions of contracts, submitting required advance payment guarantees, meeting agreed delivery schedules and payment of due insurance premiums
• Reviewing and implementing improvements to the institutional procurement arrangements to ensure timely and cost-effective procurement is undertaken under the project,
• Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Coordinator from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
The Procurement Specialist shall have
• A Bachelor's Degree in Purchasing and Supply, Production Management, Economics, Business Administration, Engineering Law, or equivalent
• Graduate Diploma in Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply
• A minimum of at least 10 years of direct relevant experience in public procurement and private sector or internationally financed projects.
• Must have significant training and practical experience in procurement within the National Public Procurement or internationally financed projects. He/she must have a sound understanding of procurement guidelines and procedures applying to World Bank, Zambia Public Procurement Authority and/or internationally financed projects
• Experience of working on Works and Consulting Services in the Construction Industry is desirable.
• Proven analytical and evaluation skills
• Knowledge of developing market conditions generally and of procurement related legislation system and practices
• Ability to promote vendor commitment to ensuring delivery and long term sustainability of relationships Rod
• Strong communication skills and persuasiveness in presenting, negotiating and resolving complex issues, both Orally and in writing in English
• Strong interpersonal skills and orientation as a team member
• Must be a member of the Zambia Institute of Purchasing and Supply with a valid ZIPS practicing certificate.
• Prior familiarity with procurement policies, and regulations of development partners and the preparation of specific standard procurement documents on World Bank and knowledge of preparation of bid evaluation reports and new procurement reporting Systematic Tracking of Exchanges in Procurement)
• Experience with Donor funded Projects will be an added advantage
• Good report writing skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Applications including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
• Excellent ability to communicate clearly accurately and concisely in English, both verbally and in writing
• Strong attention to detail and thoroughness in work product.
• Ability to multi-task work with tight deadlines and deliver exceptional results
• Ability to work in a team and independently with minimal supervision
Interested candidates should obtain detailed Terms of Reference from this link: http://znphi.co.zm/news/employment-opportunity and further information from address below during office hours i.e. 08.00 to 13.00 hours and 14.00 hours to 17.00 hours.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Application letters addressed to the Permanent Secretary (Administration), Ministry of Health, should include certified copies of academic / professional certificates and detailed Curriculum Vitae with three traceable references Applications must be submitted in hard copy to the address below or deposited in the Tender Box at the Ministry of Health, Ndeke House, Haile Selassie Road, ground floor of Ndeke House by or before 3rd September 2021 before 10.30 hours local time.
Envelopes should clearly “indicate the position applied for” under the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (P167916)
If submitted in electronic copies, they must be submitted to the email addresses indicated below by the above stated time and date
Head Procurement and Supplies Unit
For/Permanent Secretary [A]
Ministry of Health
P.O. Box 30205, Lusaka - Zambia , Tel: +260 211 253040/5
Email: [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]