- Company: DAI Global LLC
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Zambia
USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA) PROCUREMENT OFFICER
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA will provide support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions will increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project will prioritize sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
2. Location: Lusaka, Zambia
The position will be responsible for coordinating procurement activities and processes to acquire goods and services for the project. He/she should have knowledge and experience to successfully coordinate the quality and efficiency of procurement and purchasing activities.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Sourcing and procurement of goods works and services in accordance with good procurement practices and laid down procedures and guidelines.
- Preparation of solicitation documents and enquiries for goods, works and services in liaison with user projects and undertake the appropriate tendering process.
- Preparation of bid evaluation reports, contracts and other related procurement documentation.
- Contract management and expediting of orders to ensure timely delivery and processing of payments.
- Maintenance of sound Procurement records/documentation and preparation of procurement status reports.
- Collaborating with user projects and preparation of procurement plans to ensure timely provision of goods and services.
- Ensure materials and services supplied meet established standards, survey markets for latest trends in prices, availability, delivery and quality, and ensure that applicable policies, practices and procedures are understood and complied by suppliers.
- Monitor and report on supplier performance, noting current and/or potential issues and/or inefficiencies and assist with contract/purchase order modifications.
- Assess all vendors/suppliers and ensure that they meet the minimum requirements to be on the suppliers list. This also involves conducting supplier premises visits to monitor and evaluate supplier standards.
5. Reporting and Supervision:
The Procurement directly reports to the Procurement Manager
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply Graduate Diploma in Degree in Business Administration
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in procurement/purchasing management, logistics, administration, preferably with an international organization.
- Good knowledge of various donor procurement regulations (e.g. USAID)
- Knowledge of international and national procurement regulations and local market conditions
- Strong verbal, writing and communication skills essential
- Excellent impersonal skills required
- Administrative, organizational and general office management skills
- Experience with Microsoft office suite
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Able to maintain good working relationships with team members while retaining high levels of confidentiality and discretion
- Fluency in English is required
DISCLAIMER: The above scope of work is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Procurement Officer. The scope of work is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. However, Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary