Principal Geoscientist, Africa Generative – AER, Rio Tinto Exploration
- Discovery focused multi-disciplinary , multi-commodity geoscientist
- Generate superior new exploration opportunities across Africa
- Part of an exploration team with a global spread, significant expertise and a proven track record
- Permanent role based in Reading (UK), Johannesburg (RSA) or Lusaka (Zambia) with a requirement for travel
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
About the job
Rio Tinto Exploration (RTX) is divided into regionally based multi commodity exploration teams. We are looking for a Principal Geoscientist to join the RTX Africa-Eurasia Region (AER) Generative team. In this role you be working alongside other members of the Generative Team, Country Teams as well as both internal and external specialists to generate new exploration opportunities through regional and project scale geoscientific work and third party reviews.
This is a great opportunity to influence and shape RTX’s African portfolio, develop technical capability, apply new thinking and technologies and share new concepts and learnings with the purpose of discovery.
Reporting to the GM Exploration, AER you will utilise your geoscientific knowledge, expertise and networks to generate and prioritise superior exploration opportunities. This will include;
- Developing a range of ongoing options for new opportunities in Africa
- Providing specialist commodity/technical input and support to active projects and generative activities elsewhere
- Integrating and interpreting diverse geoscientific datasets in order to undertake reviews and make recommendations; at all scales from Regional to Project level
- Identifying third party projects of potential interest, undertaking reviews and making recommendations
- Undertaking fieldwork
- Maintaining a network of specialists, academia, junior explorers and other sources of information and intelligence
- Communicating effectively with all stakeholders including AER Country Teams, RTX Exploration Management and global experts
- Actively participate in improving collaboration, capability development and inclusion across the RTX team
What You’ll Bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- A passion for discovery
- A superior knowledge of exploration across a range of deposit styles and methodologies developed over at least 10 years’ experience in mineral exploration. Knowledge of sedimentary copper and nickel sulphide deposits would be beneficial. Candidates with experience limited to gold exploration need not apply.
- Experience of exploring in multiple Africa jurisdictions
- A desire to spend time in the field
- A proven track record in generative and early stage exploration activities
- An ability to integrate, analyse and interpret both sparse and complex datasets and produce well-reasoned recommendations
- Strong engagement and communication skills including the ability to effectively present and produce high quality reports
- An understanding of project risk and the interplay between technical, commercial, legal, economic, and environmental aspects of projects and their impact on valuation
- Proven ability to work collaboratively
- A full driving license
- A shared vision for an injury free workplace where safety, teamwork, respect, integrity and excellence are valued.
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your personal growth and ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we support you to drive positive change.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.riotinto.com .