- Company: MaryBegg Health Services
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Zambia
MARYBEGG HEALTH SERVICES
POSITION: Paediatrician – (1)
PURPOSE OF ROLE
At MBCC, our paediatrician is responsible for the delivery of a high standard of paediatric care together with excellent customer service at the health facility.
Our paediatrician carries out his/her duties professionally, consistently, ethically and in line with international standards and evidence based medical practices. He/she works closely with other multidisciplinary clinicians to provide comprehensive medical care that is patient-focused, compassionate and safe.
- Maintain and promote international standards of good medical practice within the hospital/clinic in collaboration with other medical staff / chief medical officer/clinic or hospital manager/ medical director.
- Oversee the efficient running of the paediatric service at the clinic: Under 5 clinics, vaccinations programmes, paediatric (neonates and older children) procedures, new-born assessments, OPD and IPD paediatric consultations and admissions, emergency paediatric services etc.
- Examine infants, toddlers and adolescents to evaluate their growth and development.
- Gather and document patients’ medical history. Evaluate patients to diagnose injuries, illnesses, and developmental problems. Order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests, such as lab work and X-rays, to gather medical information and reach a diagnosis. Prescribe or administer treatments, such as medications, vaccinations, and other therapies.
- Advises patients and their families on proper diet, exercise, and disease prevention and treatment.
- Track patients’ conditions over time and adjust treatments as needed.
- Ensure that patient medical documentation is accurate, legible and content appropriate. Every interaction with patients/family, service and third party providers is documented accurately.
- Be on-call or attend all caesarean section deliveries to assess the newborn’s condition.
- Prepare government and organisational records on births and deaths as outlined by company policy.
- Ensure that patients and/or parents are notified of paediatric patient’s test results within 12 hours of receiving results. Discuss procedures and test results with patients and their families or guardians.
- Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the clinic.
- Ensure that MBCC protocols and procedures and local regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Maintain individual clinical knowledge at an international standard through continuous education, training and learning.
- Support the clinic’s educational rounds by supporting the training coordinator with pertinent information on paediatric medicine and care.
- Participate in audit/clinical governance as directed by the CMO or Medical Director.
- Where there has been an incident/adverse event, an incident and adverse event form must be completed and submitted to the Clinic Manager or CMO for further action.
- Assist with appropriate medical evacuation or referral services. This will include ensuring all paperwork is complete like medical reports, organising of referrals, monitoring the patient’s condition, advising on appropriate means of evacuation, and monitoring the progress of the referral or evacuation. Be available to escort patients if required during a medical evacuation.
- Will be required to travel to other MBCC medical facilities once a month to see paediatric patients.
- Ensure compliance for other duties and responsibilities as may be required from the chief medical officer and/or hospital/clinic manager from time to
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- Must have a Medical doctor degree from an accredited medical school.
- Must have completed an accredited paediatrics residency/speciality programme or country equivalent and must be board certified in paediatric medicine.
- Must have 3 to 5 years experience working in a busy paediatric clinic or paediatric hospital.
- Must be registered and licenced with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ).
- Excellent Judgement
- Critical thinking
- Problem Solving skills
- Strong Communication skills
- Service minded, time management and Quality care minded.