Jobs at:JSI Research & Training Institute Limited
Deadline of this Job:
07 January 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, December 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is public health organization that is committed to improving the health and well-being of underserved and vulnerable people and communities throughout the world, and to providing an environment where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause. JSI seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and staff for its United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-supported District Coverage of Health Services (USAID DISCOVER-Health) Project. The USAID DISCOVER-Health project aims to improve the lives of Zambians by ensuring equitable access to and use of high-quality HIV, maternal new-born and child health (MNCH), family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH) services and products at the district and community levels. The project utilizes and sustains a health model that maximizes the relative strengths of the public and private sectors to deliver health products and services that reach all beneficiaries and consumer markets.
Position Title: Operations Director
Position Type: Full Time
Reports To: Deputy Project Director – Finance and Operations
The Operations Director is a full-time position based in the Lusaka office. S/he will assist to coordinate and bridge the gap between Clinical Services Teams and Administrative Management teams. S/he will be responsible for supervising project site operations, operational and administrative management compliance, including supply chain operations. S/he will work closely with the Finance Director, and Regional and Clinical Services Directors. This Position directly supervises the Sites/Facility Operations, Procurement and Supply Chain. This position is part of the SMT and reports to the Deputy Project Director- Finance and Operations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
Overall Senior Management Support to Operations
• Collaborate with Directors and other key personnel and technical teams to ensure coherence between programmatic activities and operational provisions;
• Budget custodian for operations, administration, equipment, and supplies. Responsible for monitoring, tracking and analyzing expenses against and within approved budgets;
• Manages the project operational phase-out plan and liaises with the Boston backstopping team; and,
• Provides oversight of procurement and office administration.
• Work closely with the clinical services team to ensure that all service sites are adequately equipped with furniture & supplies and meet documented USAID DISCOVER-Health standards;
• Ensure all service delivery sites confirm with Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ) standards;
• Implement and enforce measures to ensure safety and security at all hub and clinic sites;
• Supervise operations and maintenance requirements of all DISCOVER-Health prefab sites in accordance with USAID approved manual and standards;
• Supervise all construction, repairs and maintenance activities at DISCOVER sites;
• Oversight of site inventory and disposition, ensuring adequate controls and records maintained; and,
• Provides site reports to the DPDFO and ensures that all site files are “audit-ready” and organized for close-out/transitioning.
• Review and Monitor procurement, inventory and fleet and ensure adequate procedures exist;
• Review and revise the project Operations Manual and any relevant SOPS as required;
• Review and monitor the implementation of effective internal control tools in all DISCOVER offices and sites to ensure to safeguard project resources (inventory and assets); and,
• Ensure consistent implementation of JSI administrative policies and standards, and compliance with USAID regulations.
• Provide oversight and ensure quality accountability and management of the Supply Chain function to ensure:
• Adequate and timely supplies of commodities for the purpose of service delivery;
• Management oversight of distribution and warehousing for all clinical services supplies;
• Facilitation of data-driven decision-making;
• Strengthen systems to monitor usage of supplies and consumables at the site level;
• Coordination and approval of Purchase Requests within procurement plans and budgets;
• Collaborate with MoH, ZAMRA, ZABS and any other relevant institution to ensure the Project conforms to GRZ regulatory and operational guidelines;
• Collaborate with MoH to ensure USAID DISCOVER-Health commodity needs for contraceptives, MCH/RH commodities, HIV/AIDS commodities (prevention, treatment and care), TB, VMMC and Laboratory commodity are accounted for in the national forecast;
General Cross Cutting
• Provide direct supervision of Managers/Senior managers in: Supply Chain, Procurement and Admin, Fleet, Site Coordination. Develop individual roles and responsibilities, definition of tasks, mentoring support and conduct annual performance appraisals;
• Ensures that project close-out is successfully achieved with respect to supply chain, site operations, inventory and procurement.
• Any other duties as assigned by the PD and DPDFO.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in public health or project management with at least eight (8) years of experience in operations, international public health, HIV/AIDS, family planning, reproductive health, health commodities management and/or public sector logistics in developing countries:
• At least eight (8) years of senior-level international public health work experience with significant experience in supply chain management and logistics systems strengthening;
• At least eight (8) years of project operations management experience, supervisory experience or equivalent, leadership/management experience and project close-out;
• Experience working with senior technical leaders in public health;
• Ability to guide strategy development, manage implementation of projects and lead a team inclusive of using data for decision making;
• Strong representational and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to prepare and deliver public presentations;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
• Proficiency in common computer packages (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) relevant to the work;
• Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork; and
• Ability to travel in-country to support technical activities and willingness and ability to travel internationally.
Candidates meeting the following conditions and having the following experience are preferred:
• Proven success in managing and implementing USAID-funded public health programs or projects in a developing country context;
• Successful completion of a logistics management training course;
• Experience working in the Zambia supply chain environment is highly desirable; and,
• Close-out and Site Operations Experience.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please send email applications addressed to the Project Director to: [email protected] indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for receiving applications: Friday January 7th 2022
NOTE: Anyone who is looking for a job should not engage in any monetary transactions with any source that promises them an interview or a job offer from an employer.