Operational Readiness and Optimisation Engineer, Enterprise Mining
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
25 October 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The Operational Readiness and Optimisation Engineer, Enterprise role is a transitional role supporting the development and optimisation of the Enterprise Nickel project, and divided in two parts:
• Operational readiness and general project engineering during the initial project phase of the Enterprise Nickel deposit
• Transition into operations means the role moves towards an operational excellence and optimisation role through the realisation and support of continuous improvement projects.
This specific job requisition is looking for a role with exposure to Mining activities.
Specific Job Responsibility
General responsibilities include:
• Implementation Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to ensure measurable and progress are in place in order to support the mine site operations through the information systems.
• Support problem solving and implementation planning through the application of an in depth understanding of the mining business, and key cost and business drivers
• Ensure compliance with environmental, health, and safety legal requirements
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the direct supervisor.
The Operational readiness specific responsibilities are:
• Establish the Enterprise Project capability to provide the expected operational deliverables through the deployment of the relevant enabling systems such as operating systems, maintenance systems, support systems, operator training systems, and setting the context for an efficient operation.
• Support the Project team through the development, maintenance and control of change management systems, knowledge management systems and project monitoring and control systems.
• At all times strive to implement a sturdy Operations basis ultimately enhancing the attainment of Operational Excellence.
• Interact with other stakeholders such as support departments and corporate support to track and monitor their operational readiness programs, and provide coaching assistance where necessary.
• Provide direct support to field operatives during the ramp up phase.
• Provide support to the project team during construction and commissioning phase.
• Assist in developing and/or maintaining any relevant project management tools ensuring control of scope, time, cost, resourcing, risk, procurement and communications.
• Develop and nurture strong relationships with all stakeholders on the nickel value chain, nurturing a ‘team’ environment with mining, geology, mine planning, maintenance, maintenance planning, metallurgists/plant ops, logistics and data systems; Take ownership in developing these interactions to the benefit of the team and the operation.
• Develop with the relevant resources the use of modern data techniques to support the operational readiness and the operational systems along the value chain.
• Identify, budget, cost, implement and monitor the development of subprojects enhancing compliance, cost, performance and/or quality
The Operational excellence and Optimisation role specific responsibilities are:
• Lead Continuous Improvement Projects by planning, leading and facilitating improvement projects including Six Sigma and LEAN (Kaïzens) or any mixed methodology within the project pipeline.
• Ensure the respective Management Plans align with KML’s goals, objectives and vision.
• Support the Mine Sites Continuous Improvement teams in providing coaching and direction, as well as developing and achieving the overall strategy and goals of the mines sites.
• Support the development and monitoring budgets to ensure operating margins are met and recommend and implement corrective actions to ensure production objectives and quality solutions are implemented.
• Interact and collaborate with the mines site and senior corporate management within KML to support the overall goals of the corporation.
• Work with operating departments in the evaluation of ideas, apply organizational change strategies with end users and digital teams, and sustain initiatives
• Improve site performance through benchmarking to identify potential opportunities and initiatives to address specified business objectives
• Find opportunities to improve efficiency and reduce cost that will impact metrics in actuals, forecasts, and budgets, such as BCM/OpHr, $/meter drilled, operating efficiency, or $/bcm blasted, $/tonne milled, power consumption, reagent consumption, recovery improvement, concentrate quality improvement.
• Promote the sharing of site successes that can be actioned across our operations
• Report on realized benefits, business objectives, and validate that recognized gains are calculated on a standardized basis
Job Specific Competencies
• Understanding of business, cost drivers and levers for improvement
• Strong ability to task assign, build working relations and coordinate different operating disciplines to create a multidisciplinary “team” environment;
• Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans;
• Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for a mining and processing operation;
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to perform under pressure.
Key Job Attributes
• Ability to balance assertiveness and cooperation to optimise relationships with various stakeholders.
• A structured approach to work organisation.
• Driven personality, able to take initiative and manage self.
• Inquisitive spirit.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
• Minimum two years of experience with responsibilities in a project environment.
• Minimum two years of experience in CI or an Operating Excellence environment using Lean, Six Sigma, or other CI processes
• Sophisticated user of the Microsoft Suite®, in particular Excel, PowerPoint, and Power BI
• Experience with Python, SQL, and data and statistical analytics is a strong asset
• Proven success implementing change through end user and partner engagement, and sustaining results in an operationally complex business
• Experience developing business cases, and an ability to communicate through multiple mediums
• Degree in Finance, Mining, Engineering, Processing, or qualification in a related subject area
• PMP, PRINCE2 or similar project management qualification is considered beneficial
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.