Officer, Agriculture Support
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
27 October 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
Responsible for promoting and coordinating of sustainable agriculture support programs for income and food security.
Specific Job Responsibilities
1.0 Agriculture Support Stimulation Activities
• Organising crops and livestock production exchange visits.
• Arranging mentorship talks by small scale successful farmers.
• Organising conservation farming for business and income training.
• Piloting high value crops and sharing results with farmers in the catchment area.
• Promoting local appreciation of existing agribusiness opportunities and wealth.
• General stimulation of agri-business ideas.
2.0 Agriculture Support Enhancement Activities
• Organising livestock and crop inputs for participating farmers on pay-back basis.
• Arranging animal health support material, training and vaccinations
• Motivating out grower and aggregation business opportunities to energise agriculture development
• Establishing small to medium scale value addition centres with the aim of providing ready market and generating demand.
• Promoting small scale agriculture mechanisation as a service provision.
• Market linkage and optimisation of opportunities in the agriculture value chain.
• Enhancing the power of cooperatives.
3.0 Agriculture Support Sustenance Activities
• Promoting the need for independence and graduation
• Sustainability training and exposure
• Agribusiness development training
4.0 Management Activities
• Coordination of the agriculture support team and capacity building
• Managing agriculture support resources and promoting accountability
• Mentoring the field teams to understand the need for sustainable agriculture.
• Structured planning, implementing and monitoring of performance.
5.0 Other Responsibilities
• Mobilizing inputs and technical support for crops and livestock production.
• Liaison with the Ministry of Agriculture to ensure sustainable agriculture is promoted.
• Profiling households to appreciate their interest and ability to participate in agriculture related livelihood programs.
• Promoting conservation farming awareness within the catchment area and KML employees.
• Coordination of agriculture support consultants and third party service providers engaged by Kalumbila Minerals Limited (KML) to enhance agriculture.
• Promoting high value crops and market linkage
• Monitoring and reporting agriculture performance.
• Identifying training needs and developing training programs.
Job Specific Competencies
• Ability to develop and manage financial budgets as well as manage commercial and procurement systems
• Ability to conduct field work with the field officers.
• Good understanding of sustainable rural livelihood performance monitoring tools with practical experience
• Strong mentorship skills of subordinates and local stakeholders.
• Data analysis and manipulation skills (e.g. conversant with MS Excel)
Key Job Attributes
• Self-motivated, innovative and able to develop good relations with stakeholders.
• Ability to manage field teams and community support teams.
• Understanding the central, local and traditional governance systems.
• Be part of a team and able to solve problems in remote locations.
• Hard working and willing to work long hours.
• Have a high level of personal and professional integrity.
• Maintain confidentiality and trustworthiness.
• Excellent record keeping and report writing skills.
• Ability to develop and manage activities in a structured approach and through KPIs.
• Good communication and emotional intelligence.
• Self supervision and illustrating the duty of care.
Experience & Qualifications required to perform in this job
• At least 2 years’ experience working with reputable institutions in supporting sustainable livelihood activities.
• GIS competence and ability to manage geo-referenced agriculture information.
• Practical experience in crops and livestock production from a sustainability and livelihood perspective.
• Ability to establish and develop practical value addition programs and marketing linking.
• Good understanding of the cultural context within the catchment area and experience working with traditional governance systems.
• Degree (or equivalent) in Agriculture Science, Agriculture Economics, Agro-forestry, Rural Development or related fields.
• Formal training in agribusiness activities.
• Valid driving and motorcycle riding license with adequate driving/riding competence.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.