- Company: FQM
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kalumbila
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
Overall Job Purpose
Responsible for promoting and coordinating of sustainable agriculture support programs for income and food security.
Specific Job Responsibilities
1.0 Agriculture Support Stimulation Activities
- Organising crops and livestock production exchange visits.
- Arranging mentorship talks by small scale successful farmers.
- Organising conservation farming for business and income training.
- Piloting high value crops and sharing results with farmers in the catchment area.
- Promoting local appreciation of existing agribusiness opportunities and wealth.
- General stimulation of agri-business ideas.
2.0 Agriculture Support Enhancement Activities
- Organising livestock and crop inputs for participating farmers on pay-back basis.
- Arranging animal health support material, training and vaccinations
- Motivating out grower and aggregation business opportunities to energise agriculture development
- Establishing small to medium scale value addition centres with the aim of providing ready market and generating demand.
- Promoting small scale agriculture mechanisation as a service provision.
- Market linkage and optimisation of opportunities in the agriculture value chain.
- Enhancing the power of cooperatives.
3.0 Agriculture Support Sustenance Activities
- Promoting the need for independence and graduation
- Sustainability training and exposure
- Agribusiness development training
4.0 Management Activities
- Coordination of the agriculture support team and capacity building
- Managing agriculture support resources and promoting accountability
- Mentoring the field teams to understand the need for sustainable agriculture.
- Structured planning, implementing and monitoring of performance.
5.0 Other Responsibilities
- Mobilizing inputs and technical support for crops and livestock production.
- Liaison with the Ministry of Agriculture to ensure sustainable agriculture is promoted.
- Profiling households to appreciate their interest and ability to participate in agriculture related livelihood programs.
- Promoting conservation farming awareness within the catchment area and KML employees.
- Coordination of agriculture support consultants and third party service providers engaged by Kalumbila Minerals Limited (KML) to enhance agriculture.
- Promoting high value crops and market linkage
- Monitoring and reporting agriculture performance.
- Identifying training needs and developing training programs.
Job Specific Competencies
- Ability to develop and manage financial budgets as well as manage commercial and procurement systems
- Ability to conduct field work with the field officers.
- Good understanding of sustainable rural livelihood performance monitoring tools with practical experience
- Strong mentorship skills of subordinates and local stakeholders.
- Data analysis and manipulation skills (e.g. conversant with MS Excel)
Key Job Attributes
- Self-motivated, innovative and able to develop good relations with stakeholders.
- Ability to manage field teams and community support teams.
- Understanding the central, local and traditional governance systems.
- Be part of a team and able to solve problems in remote locations.
- Hard working and willing to work long hours.
- Have a high level of personal and professional integrity.
- Maintain confidentiality and trustworthiness.
- Excellent record keeping and report writing skills.
- Ability to develop and manage activities in a structured approach and through KPIs.
- Good communication and emotional intelligence.
- Self supervision and illustrating the duty of care.
Experience & Qualifications required to perform in this job
- At least 2 years’ experience working with reputable institutions in supporting sustainable livelihood activities.
- GIS competence and ability to manage geo-referenced agriculture information.
- Practical experience in crops and livestock production from a sustainability and livelihood perspective.
- Ability to establish and develop practical value addition programs and marketing linking.
- Good understanding of the cultural context within the catchment area and experience working with traditional governance systems.
- Degree (or equivalent) in Agriculture Science, Agriculture Economics, Agro-forestry, Rural Development or related fields.
- Formal training in agribusiness activities.
- Valid driving and motorcycle riding license with adequate driving/riding competence.