The best conservation management job in the world.
Job Announcement: Lower Zambezi Project Manager (LZ PM)
BCP’s mission is making conservation
of wildlife habitat valuable to people.
BCP is a leading African conservation company which seeks to sustainably finance wildlife and habitat conservation through the forest carbon markets. We are working with Community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 235,000 people. Most of the project areas are located in Game Management Areas bordering strategic National Parks in Eastern and Lusaka Province, governed by management agreements between local communities and the Government of Zambia.
The Lower Zambezi Project Manager will oversee all aspects of REDD+ project management in Lusaka Province, and parts of Central Province within the Zambezi catchment area. This important role will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. This role will be responsible for delivering key outcomes against the Company’s top goals. This role must lead, build and manage a highly effective project team to run the project area on a day-to-day basis to deliver exceptional results in both community and biodiversity outcomes. This role will plan, organize, lead and manage budgets for REDD+ activities and will be responsible for helping to deliver successful REDD+ verifications against international standards. The role oversees reporting, planning, operations and partnership building with community, Government and other stakeholders.
Priorities that we’ll trust you with.
- Lead the development, management, facilitation and implementation of REDD+ activities and ensure that these are aligned with company goals/objectives
- Manage project risks and apply risk mitigation strategies
- Engage key stakeholders and build partnerships
- Co-ordination with strategic partners
- Outsourced services to be managed to ensure delivery of the full scope of work
- Ensure zero deforestation
- Ensure compliance with community agreements
- Oversee infrastructure development, equipment maintenance and professional project facilities.
- Coordinate site visits
- Oversee Eco-Charcoal forest management.
- Oversee resource protection activities in all REDD+ zones in BCP’s Lower Zambezi focal area.
- Oversee livelihood interventions in the community zones in each Chiefdom BCP operates.
- Function as the key point person for the operational side of annual REDD+ verifications (audits).
2. Human Resources:
- Oversee training of stakeholders in REDD+ at village to Provincial levels.
- Build, inspire, manage and lead a team of high performing Zambian conservationists and community development specialists.
- Prepare and administer annual work plans, budgets in line with management plans and the company’s Strategic Plan.
- Oversee quality monthly reporting, and impact monitoring reporting.
Alliance builders wanted:
- Advanced graduate degree preferred
- Project management skills required
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant work experience required
- Computer skills and full command of Microsoft applications required
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity and powerful communication skills
- Ability to succeed in a stressful, private sector environment with tight deadlines and high outputs
- Ability to motivate a team to achieve a common goal
- Project managers, conservationists and community development experts wanted.
What you’ll tell your contacts:
- BCP is one of the leading REDD+ project development social enterprises in Africa. BCP’s mission is making conservation of wildlife habitat valuable to people. BCP runs two REDD+ projects in Zambia: The Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project and the Luangwa Community Forests Project. The Luangwa project is Africa’s largest REDD+ project by hectarage. The Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project is the world’s only 7 times VCS-verified and triple gold CCB verified REDD+ project. As the 5th highest scoring B Corp in the world, BCP benefits 235,000 people across 13 Chiefdoms. Our vision is community partnerships conserving Africa’s last strongholds starting. In operation for 9 years, we work in over 1 million hectares of globally important wildlife habitats in Zambia.
We even do benefits differently:
- As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus great holiday benefits, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus training and travel opportunities for work, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.
Method of Application
Candidates interested in joining an innovative, fast-paced, and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things supporting livelihoods programs, please send a CV, a cover letter, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email with Lower Zambezi Project Manager in the subject line. Please ensure your cover email stands out. Please also send 3 reference contacts.
Females are encouraged to apply.