Logistics and Fleet Officer
Jobs at:Healthy Learners
Deadline of this Job:
15 January 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Logistics and Fleet Officer
Healthy Learners is an award-winning non-profit organization committed to improving the health of children in Zambia and beyond. We partner directly with the government and local communities in Zambia so that school children can stay healthy, learn effectively and have a brighter future. This year, Healthy Learners was the inaugural winner of the 2021 Duke F.M. Kirby Prize for Scaling Social Impact and the UBS Optimus Foundation COVID-19 Relief Prize and has seen strong, steady growth over time.
School-aged children in low resource settings suffer from a high burden of disease and lack access to even basic healthcare, which causes otherwise preventable and curable illnesses to frequently result in life-long health challenges or disability. In the short term, these illnesses contribute to school absenteeism, poor academic performance, and high drop-out rates. In the long term, they undermine physical, cognitive, and emotional development and hinder economic prosperity.
Healthy Learners is bridging this gap in Zambia through our unique model of school-based community ealth. By training teachers to be community health workers and making schools entry points into the public healthcare system, children now receive medical attention in substantially greater numbers, improving health outcomes and reducing absenteeism. We currently serve 260,000 students in Lusaka and Choma, and we are working with the Zambian government to scale nationally.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Healthy Learners is built on a solid foundation of strong operations, a capable team and a robust culture. As we prepare to enter an exciting period of accelerated growth, we are looking for a talented and dedicated Logistics and Fleet Officer to support operations out of our Ndola Regional Office.
The candidate will work closely with the Admin Manager to strengthen, implement, and own day-to-today supply chain operations and vehicle fleet management. S/he will be responsible for ensuring smooth processes, effective distribution of products and services, and a well-managed fleet within the Copperbelt Region. The Logistics and fleet officer will work closely with Program and administrative staff to forecast needs, ensure comprehensive reporting, and assist with related Healthy Learners activities as required.
This is a hands on position that requires excellent attention to detail. A successful candidate should be excited to join the fast-pace environment of a rapidly growing and mission driven organization.
Job duties and responsibilities:
Supply Chain Management
• Implement day-to-day supply chain activities and processes for the organization.
• Support the Admin Manager and Program Coordinator(s) to effectively integrate logistics with program processes and activities.
• Communicate effectively with internal/external contacts to ensure necessary approvals and documentation of goods or material deliveries.
• Track shipment details, locations, and estimated time of arrivals; notify recipient agents of shipments delivery status
• Respond to shipping complaints, lost items, and damages, resolve scheduling dispute, and respond to queries and concerns.
• Execute contractual obligation when working with third-party services especially on transport and warehousing needs.
• Assist logistics coordinator, warehouse specialists, and other team members when needed to meet schedule.
• Ensure regular review & evaluation of services provided by thirds parties, adherence to the standards
• Report ongoing performance issues.
• Collect, manage and report supply-chain and vehicle fleet management data to the Director of Supply Chain Analytics.
Fleet Tracking, Maintenance, and Management
• Coordinate day-to-day allocation of vehicles for all distributions needs; assign drivers to scheduled activities.
• Supervise drivers and ensure adherence to all policies and procedures.
• Conduct orientations for new drivers; recommend training needs for existing drivers as required.
• Oversee route scheduling for multi-drop and pick-up of staff.
• Work with the Admin Manager and Lusaka-based logistics team to review internal transport capacity and provide available options to ensure all transportation needs are met.
• Ensure that drivers and passengers comply with Healthy Learners policies and procedures as well as applicable laws and regulations; implement and enforce transportation scheduling and policy changes.
• Ensure all statutory vehicle licenses and requirements are up to date at all times.
• Ensure that all vehicle incidents are reported, conclusively resolved, and filled.
• Implement strategies for decreasing vehicle costs as required.
• Schedule maintenance and repairs on vehicles.
• Ensure vehicles are regularly inspected and effectively maintained.
• Record and effectively track parts replacements and repairs.
• Prepare fuel analysis and consumption reports
Specific Requirements Include
• Proven experience of working in logistics and supply chain management.
• Comprehensive knowledge of logistics and supply chain processes and procedures
• Previous experience in NGO procedures, costs, and major donor regulations is an added advantage.
• Comprehensive knowledge of technical regulations related to fleet management and maintenance.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent ethical and integrity standards.
• Good project management skills and strong attention to detail
• Energetic, self-motivated, and able to work with minimum supervision.
• Comprehensive knowledge and utilization of accounting and supply chain software is an added advantage
• Bachelor’s degree with education and training in supply chain management, purchasing, logistics, or related studies
• Minimum four years of experience as logistics/supply chain professional with increasing levels of responsibility.
• Membership of an appropriate professional body such as the Chartered Institute of purchasing and supply management is required
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should email their CV and 1 page cover letter applying by sending an email to office [email protected] . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
All application must be addressed to;
The Vice President of Administration and SCM.
Note: You can learn more about our work by visiting www.healthylearners.org .