Information Technology Specialist-Digital Solutions
Jobs at:Zambia National Public Health Institute
Deadline of this Job:
27 May 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Ministry of Health (MoH) with support from the World Bank is implementing the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) Regional Investment Financing Project (ACDCP) which aims to enhance Public Health Security capacity by supporting the establishment of infectious disease control systems on the African continent.
The Africa CDC is a specialized technical institution of the African Union established to support public health initiatives of Member States and strengthen the capacity of their public health institutions to detect, prevent, control, and respond quickly and effectively to disease threats. To help Africa CDC and countries in the region cope with the burden of disease threats and outbreaks, the World Bank has provided funding to the Africa CDC headquarters in Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) and the Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) for strengthening vital institutional capacities to execute measurable public health functions through the Africa Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (ACDCP).
The overall Project Development Objective (PDO) is to support Africa CDC to strengthen continental and regional infectious disease detection and response systems.
The Zambia National Public Health Institute now seeks to engage the services of suitably qualified candidate to fill the vacant post of an Information Technology Specialist- Digital Solution (DS) under the ACDCP Implementing Unit (PIU) to support the project implementation on all Information Technology related issues.
1. Information Technology Specialist-Digital Solutions
a. Duty Station: Zambia National Public Health Institute PIU, Lusaka
b. Reports to: Project Coordiantor – ACDCP
c. Title: Information Technology Specialist- Digital Solutions (1 Post)
Objectives of the Assignment
The main duty of the Information Technology (IT) specialist – Digital Solutions will be to support information technology systems and users, install computer systems and software, and maintaining computer networks and connectivity. The IT Systems Specialist takes the lead in the development of ICT Infrastructure, provide guidance on ICT needs, develop, manage, and maintain the ICT environment and infrastructure. The IT-DS specialist will carry out the following critical duties and responsibilities
S/N Key Result Area
1 Systems Administration
• Develop and implement ICT policies, guidelines, standard procedures, and solutions Provide input and technical expertise relating to technical requirements for the procurement, installation and repair of computer systems, services, accessories, hardware, software, etc.;
• Offers troubleshooting, support, and repair when IT equipment or networks malfunction
• Installing or upgrading components, setting up software
• Enforce systems security for data and infrastructure and maintaining information security through controlled hardware or software installation and staff education
• Perform data back-ups and ensuring data storage is safe and secure.
• Maintains records of hardware and software inventory (Inventory management)
• Schedules and executes ICT maintenance activities pro-actively for the responsible hardware and analyses and solves occurring technical ICT problems with standardized solutions.
2. Leadership opportunities
• Develops new and innovative systems and methods, when needed in cooperation with external ICT parties.
• Provide expert voice in tech strategy
• Provides IT support, training, and orientation for new technology users
• Provide overall leadership to the ICT operations including computer systems operations, technical support, data control, systems security, website development, database management, and telecommunications and IS training.
• Develop and manage the implementation of Information and Communication Technology environment and infrastructure in a cost-effective manner
3. Digital Solutions
• Design systems and assess the effectiveness of technology resources already in use or new systems that are being implemented
• Support the establishment of an Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) center (including hardware and software) data management, communication and security systems at the Laboratory and office complex to be built.
• Support the PIU and ZNPHI in strengthening health information systems, specifically focusing on electronic disease surveillance and frontline data capture and monitoring and supervising tools for health service delivery. These include: (i) conducting IT due diligence with respect to use of IT in project related activities; (ii) assess appropriate technologies and good practices that can be adopted, including mobile, web-based and geographic information systembased technologies; and (iii) develop guidelines for implementing the project health information systems.
4. Monitoring and Evaluation
• Perform periodic security audits and system or network vulnerability assessments.
• Monitors performance of the ICT environment and processes and reports errors and threats.
5. Partner Engagements
• Offer expert advice for any ICT partnerships/contract negotiations
• Manages contracts with external ICT providers,
• Collaborates with partners/stakeholders through solutions to solve problems
6. Any other Duties
• Any other duties as assigned
This is a consulting assignment. The service is initially for a period of 2 years, subject to extension
based on satisfactory performance.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Communication Technology, Computer Mathematics or Computer Engineering or related field
• Additional post graduate qualifications in ICT will be an added advantage
• Preferably 7 years of relevant experience in developing and managing information management systems with a strong background in Computers and Networks
• Experience in working on donor funded projects will be an added advantage
• Extensive experience in conducting and facilitating trainings/workshops
• Experience setting up and troubleshooting various technical equipment such as laptops, video conferencing systems, mobiles, servers etc.
• should have an in-depth knowledge of various computer hardware and software technologies.
• Good and diverse knowledge of e-Governance, e-Government, and information management systems
• Excellent facilitation and communication skills
• Good understanding and practice of information systems design and management
• Good at decision making, problem solving and critical thinking,
• Good written and verbal communication, and interpersonal communication
• Ability to work under pressure and be able to meet goals.
• Excellent written and spoken English
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should obtain detailed Terms of Reference from this link: http://znphi.co.zm/news/employment-opportunity and further information from address below during office hours i.e. 08.00 to 13.00 hours and 14.00 hours to 17.00 hours.
Application letters addressed to the Permanent Secretary (Administration), Ministry of Health, should include certified copies of academic / professional certificates and detailed Curriculum Vitae with three traceable references. Applications must be submitted in hard copy to the address below or deposited in the Tender Box at the Ministry of Health, Ndeke House, Haile Selassie Road, ground floor of Ndeke House by or before 27th May 2022 before 10:30 hours local time. Envelopes should clearly “indicate the position applied for” under the Africa CDC Regional Investment
Financing Project (167916).
If submitted in electronic copies, they must be submitted to the email addresses indicated below by the above stated time and date. The email subject line should clearly “indicate the position applied for”
Chief Procurement and Supplies Officer
Ministry of Health
P.O Box 30205, Lusaka – Zambia, Tel: +260 211 253040/5
Email: [email protected] [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]