- Company: Barrick Gold Corporation
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lumwana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Barrick Gold Corporation Jobs in ZambiaEngineering Jobs in Zambia
Position: Hydrology Technician
Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Coordinator – Hydrology.
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the Northwestern region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position Hydrology Technician
Reporting to the Hydrogeology Coordinator, you will be responsible for management of dewatering boreholes, piezometers, collection of hydrological monitoring data and other hydrological infrastructure on the Mine.
- Carry out all work in compliance to relevant procedures and Zambian regulatory requirements.
- Supervise the drilling of dewatering boreholes and installation of dewatering pumps in the boreholes.
- Ensure all boreholes are inspected and operational on the daily basis.
- Replacing faulty or operational boreholes.
- Collection and communication of pumping rates and pumping volumes from the boreholes.
- Supervise the drilling and installation of piezometers for pore pressure monitoring.
- Data collections from vibrating wire piezometers and standpipe piezometers.
- Supervise hydrological drilling, and installation of monitoring equipment with an emphasis on a high level of safety and quality.
- Collection of ground water monitoring data from piezometers.
- Assist the hydrology coordinator with dam audits and pit inspection.
- Maintenance of pore pressure monitoring instrumentation.
- Continually improve their hydrological skills by way of working through the Hydrological technician skills matrix and seeking guidance and mentorship from the Hydrogeology Coordinator.
Experience & Qualifications
- Full Grade Twelve School Certificate
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in the open pit working with dewatering boreholes.
- Experience in geotechnical lab works will be added advantage
- Holder of a valid Zambian Drivers Licence
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks .
‘Be Aware of Fraudsters’
Lumwana Mine does not solicit for payment of any funds towards the recruitment process.