- Company: Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Internship
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Zambia
The HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Global Health Consortium consists of four historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the United States with medical schools, including Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU). Within the context of clinical transformation, the Consortium aims to enhance and improve the provision of HIV/AIDS services in Sub-Saharan Africa. Funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), HIV/AIDS Bureau, Division of Global HIV Programs, this HBCU project is a multi-year initiative that partners the Consortium with local Zambian hospitals in clinical practice transformation projects.
In January 2018, PEPFAR/ Zambia supported the collaborative process led by CDU with members of the Zambian Ministry of Health, the Medical Director of Chawama District Hospital and other HIV specialists at Chawama Hospital to conduct a needs assessment of the Chawama catchment area due to 16% of AGYW in Chawama are HIV positive. Out of this collaboration, the “Rise Up!” Program was born. In February 2020, the program expanded to Chilenje, Matero and Kanyama. In April 2021, we further expanded to the Copperbelt to 5 sites New Masala (Ndola), Chipokota Mayamba (Ndola), Ipusikilo (Kitwe), Buchi (Kitwe), Chimwemwe (Kitwe) and established a Central Rise Up! House model in Chimwemwe Kitwe.
The program is targeted at providing students with
- A junior professional experience
- Exposure to career opportunities
- Program design and implementation
- Leadership skills
- Community engagement
- Global health exposure
We Require the candidates to be from Cavendish University, Micheal Sata University, Levy Mwanawasa University and Apex University with the following requirements:
- In their last year of university,
- Studying Public Health, Social Work, Psychology, Nursing, Clinical Officers, and any other Health Sciences.
- Must be able to give 20hrs in a week to their internship and
- Currently reside near the university or in the province