PURPOSE OF ROLE
The surgeon is responsible for delivering a high standard of surgical care before, during or after a surgical procedure in the operating theatre (OT) and in keeping with safe, patient-centred practices and outcomes.
Our surgeon carries out his/her duties professionally, consistently, ethically and in line with international best practice standards. He/she works closely with other multidisciplinary clinicians to provide comprehensive surgical care services at Mary Begg.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Comply with all MBHS standards for delivering high quality surgical care and where relevant, identify and/or design any surgical practice standards or procedures that are required.
- Follow established surgical technique during surgery that is in keeping with international standards of best practice.
- Provide compassionate, competent and safe surgical care at all times.
- Attend regular clinic meetings (with the Chief Medical Officer / Medical Director) and medical committee meetings to report on and discuss issues relating to improvements in anaesthetic services and equipment.
- Be available for duty as rostered for normal shifts, on call shifts (defined as a standby period out of normal clinic hours), weekends and in case of emergencies.
- Together with the theatre nurse in charge of OT, oversee and manage the efficient running of the operating theatre, theatre list and OT staff, and formulate any plans or protocols to improve the service.
- Manage surgery services, including planning, scheduling and coordination, determination of surgical procedures, and procurement of supplies and equipment.
- Prior to surgery: examine the patient’s physical health; review patient medical history and pre-existing conditions (including medication allergies); order diagnostic tests/scans and laboratory tests; review all test results; discuss the surgical procedure with patients and families, including benefits and risks; discuss the possibility of blood transfusion and obtain necessary patient consent (prior to surgery); make sure surgical procedure consent forms are completed, signed and filed in the patient’s chart; and review the anaesthesia plan.
Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the operating theatre.
Carry out ward rounds to assess patient progress, as required.
- Support the clinic/hospital manager with identifying medical equipment, medicines and consumables that need to be procured for the surgery department
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- MMed in general Surgery
- Must have a Bachelor of Medicine and surgery (MBChB).
- Bachelor of Science in Human Biology (B.Sc. HB).
- Must be registered and licenced with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ).
- Must have at least 3 years post graduate experience.
- Excellent Judgement
- Critical thinking
- Problem Solving skills
- Strong Communication skills
- Service minded, time management and Quality care minded.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, click the apply button below and attached your detailed Curriculum Vitae.
To apply for this job please visit marybeggclinic.bamboohr.com .