- Company: DAI
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Zambia
USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA provides support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project prioritizes sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
2. Location: Lusaka, Zambia
The Finance Manager is a key member of the finance team. S/he will play a pivotal role in assuring adherence to financial policies, project policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems. The Finance Manager will provide accounting support to the project office and undertake all financial reporting functions and local statutory requirements. Responsible for recording costs and day to day general accounting, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, assuring all backup documentation is audit ready, and supporting the Director Finance and Administration with all financial functions. The Finance Manager may perform any other related duties as assigned.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
Policies & Procedures
- Ensure that the Project Financial Management and Reporting are carried out in accordance with GAAP standards; DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations, and the terms of the contract between USAID and DAI.
- Ensure vendor and remittance tax forms, are prepared and submitted in a timely manner
- Ensure monthly reconciliation reports are prepared and submitted
- Monitor and submit advance, commitment, and grant reports as applicable
- Manage reporting of expenses by The Project
- Manage information inputs for any financial reporting requirements, or internal reports as necessary
- Oversee the use of the Field Accounting System (FAS) to monitor daily financial transactions, reviewing and approving journal entries in FAS, for proper allocation of billable expenses
- Oversee maintenance of hard copy file management systems and uses DAI’s operations system (TAMIS) and Oracle to complete finance functions as required
- Oversee voucher uploads to DAI’s repository for the electronic archival of financial documentation
- Perform and oversee regular spot audits of project files
- Provide monitoring and oversight function on district accountants to ensure that the overall project implementation complies with USAID and DAI regulations and policies;
- Oversee weekly cash-flow forecasts for approval and fund replenishment wire requests
- Ensure that requests for payments have appropriate approvals
- Oversee the preparation of field expense vouchers ensuring accuracy of expense coding
- Assist in preparing payroll, ensuring leave balances and taxes are accurately recorded
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all tax liabilities and statutory remittances
- Prepare and submits field expense extracts and coordinates with the Project Associate to complete field office to home office expense bi-weekly reporting
- Perform any approved accounting corrections and reversals
- Manage the relationship with the bank and verify all payment transactions processed through online banking system have been duly authorized.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliations are prepared
- Provide spot check on the management of Petty Cash and Approves Petty Cash transactions
- Review travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance and that procedures are adhered to, to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel
- Escalate any delays or vendor/other issues to the Director Finance and Administration
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
5. Reporting and Supervision:
The Finance Manager directly reports to the Director- Finance and Administration and supervises the entire accounting team in the Head Office in Lusaka as well as in 13 district offices.
6. Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Full ACCA or CIMA qualification, ZICA registered
- Minimum 5 – 7 years’ post qualification experience with at least 3 years in a similar role supporting USAID-funded projects
- Demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related USG contracting regulations
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data
- Ability to respond effectively to the time sensitive inquiries
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Able to maintain good working relationships with team members while retaining high levels of confidentiality and discretion
- Fluency in English is required