About On Call Africa
On Call Africa was set up by a group of doctors and international development experts, all with a shared desire to improve access to healthcare and health outcomes within rural communities. In particular, looking to support communities with traditionally poor access to medical professionals and amenities – Zambia was selected due its low ratio of doctors to people. Following a consultation with the Ministry of Health, the Southern Province was selected as the starting point.
We work in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Rural Health Facilities, volunteer Doctors from the UK, and delivery partners to support the development of strong and effective rural health systems in Southern Province, Zambia. We also work with Rural Health Facilities that have been identified by the Ministry of Health as being in need of capacity building and support. With these Rural Health Facilities we map their catchment area, carry out in depth assessments of health facility needs, and the needs of their communities, and use these to work with the health facility staff to develop detailed quality improvement and implementation plans to improve access to and quality of healthcare. Once in place we work with the Ministry of Health, and our partners to deliver identified programmes of work.
We are currently experiencing rapid growth as an organisation, and working in partnership with large reputable partners to develop programmes, and submit funding proposals to deliver this work. This diverse role will work across all funding streams, and support the organisation to effectively manage and funds and report on their use.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Day to Day finance function:
- Ensure accurate coding by staff in Zambia of all invoices ready for posting to SAGE.
- Ensure supporting documentation has been provided for all purchases and is clearly authorized
- Scan and upload copies of all supporting documentation, giving references that can ensure the records are easily found
- Take responsibility for the monitoring of all cash transactions including weekly reconciliations and ensuring sufficient cash is held for day to day transactions.
- Take responsibility for the monitoring of the stock and equipment
- Process the monthly payroll and deal with any ad hoc queries from staff.
- Ensure appropriate levels of stock are maintained and that the Executive Director is informed monthly of any stock approaching it’s ‘use by date’.
- Take responsibility for the asset register, ensuring the safe keeping of all assets.
- Maintaining a daily log for all assets given out for short term use and ensuring their return.
- Support the Finance Manager with the month end process with timely, accurate information.
- Visit the bank, statutory bodies such as the ZRA and NAPSA, or suppliers when necessary to make payments which require a physical presence
- Ensure all Finance records are kept securely.
- Support the procurement process, placing orders, checking deliveries and requesting quotes.
- Ensure digital copies of all relevant documentation is scanned and uploaded to the shared drive/cloud
- Maintain service logs for all vehicles, ensuring required service dates are booked by relevant team members, and keep a regular record of mileage.
- Take any necessary reading for the utilities
- Support the meeting of all requirements that should be met for the building in terms of health and safety, security, permits and pest control.
Day to Day HR function:
- Issue, monitor and update staff contracts as necessary
- Ensure all HR records are kept securely.
- Maintain the Zambia staff records for annual leave, unpaid leave, parental leave and sickness
- further aspects of the role
- Respect the confidentiality of any OCA data
- Support the rest of the team with ad hoc tasks as required
- Personal Qualities
- Highly numerate individual with good attention to detail
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in finance or accounting
- Ability to work independently but also a strong member of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office – WORD, Excel etc
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritise work
- Ability to problem solve, work positively with others to deliver results
- Experience of accounting software
- Experience of working in finance
- Experience of payroll
- An interest or experience in community work
Method of Application
Please email your CV and cover letter to the email below: