Wärtsilä is leading the transition towards a 100% renewable energy future. As an energy system integrator, we – Wärtsilians – understand, design, build and serve optimal power systems for future generations. Our solutions provide the needed flexibility to integrate renewables and secure power system reliability. We support our customers over the lifecycle of their installations with services that enable increased efficiency and guaranteed performance. Did you know that Wärtsilä has 72 GW of installed power plant capacity in 180 countries around the world?
In this era of innovation and fast changing world of energy, we are constantly on the lookout for future-oriented talent to join our team and to work towards enabling sustainable societies with smart technology – together. Want to join the ride?
Wärtsilä has a strong market presence in the South and East Africa region. We provide optimal efficiency throughout the entire lifetime of our customers’ installations. Our global service network helps our customers keep their business running, while saving fuel and costs and complying with environmental regulations. Our customers appreciate the best service in the world. So, do we. In order to continue to help us to achieve our mission.
Wartsila is looking for an Environmental Health and Safety Officer to join our team in Ndola, Zambia.
To be successful in this role you will be responsible for the following.
- Responsible for the security of the site
- Participates in action planning on local or regional level within the area of responsibility
- Ensure security of the plant is enforced by the security contractor
- Assures that all personnel work within the guidelines of the appropriate safety rules and regulations.
- Conduct training and demonstrate correct use of fire rules and extinguishers
- Ensure regular inspection of firefighting equipment and maintain a log of these inspections.
- Inspects the maintenance of housekeeping in all areas.
- Monitors heavy lifts for proper usage.
- Monitor all areas for safety violation and hazards.
- Complete necessary inspection reports for lifting equipment
- Ensures quality of operation within the area of responsibility
- Performs a variety of professional activities in own area
- Ensures the completeness of the routine and daily work of own area
- Ensure visitor safety and compliance with safety procedures
- Promote and ensure safety to all employees, contractors and visitors.
- Promote and ensure conformity to our environmental procedures
- Develop a system of monitoring Lost Time Injuries /Accident and maintain / review accident reports
- Develop a system of monitoring safety and environmental aspects of the plant through developing and communication procedures to the staff.
- Develop an efficient security system in the plant capable of handling all eventualities.
- Develop a responsible law on the drivers and take strict measures on defensive driving.
- Assists Departmental heads/Plant manager in accident investigation.
- Consult Agreement Manager and assist in coordinating Safety training activities
- Prepare safety procedures in coordination with the Agreement Manager when necessary
- Maintain close liaison with customer’s safety representative.
- Enforce site and Plant rules and polices
- Report to Management Team any abnormalities observed.
- Inspection and ensures of safety of vehicles.
- Acts as the secretary of the safety committee and conduct safety meetings regularly.
Signatory to all EHS related reports which include to:
- Work Permits
- Hot work Permit
NB: Safety /security officer is authorized to stop any work, reject any person from the site, material, or equipment that does not conform to the safety requirement.
- Extensive knowledge of Health, Safety and environmental regulations and policies.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in Quality, Health, environmental and Safety inspections
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Cultural knowledge
- Presentation Skills
- Reporting and analyzing skills
- Team work skills
Management & Leadership Competencies:
- Change management
- Management skills
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Environmental Science or Bachelor of Science University Degree or equivalent
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as an Environment, Health and Safety Officer, preferably in a power plant environment
- Member of the internationally recognized Health, Safety and Environmental Organization
To apply for this position, please register and submit your academic qualifications and curriculum vitae on our careers portal at https://www.wartsila.com/careers. We will keep you updated on the recruitment process.
We hope to hear from you before the last application date 17th September 2021, through submitting your application in our careers portal.
Only short listed candidates will be conducted
*Please note that only online application via our careers portal will be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit www.wartsila.com .