At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
HT Electrical Specialist –
Environmental Equipment (HVAC and
HT Transformers and Protections
— HT Motors
Fire Suppression Systems
Position reports to
Smelter Electrical Senior Supervisor HT Power
To manage/supervise and direct the day-to-day operations of the Electrical High Voltage Transformers and Protections,
Equipment and HVAC units and Resources in the Smelter Plant to maximize efficient and safe production at the Kansanshi Mine Plc.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
The position covers mainly the areas below and other areas as instructed by the line Manager
— Environmental Equipment (HVAC and
— HT Transformers and Protections
— HT Motors
–Fire Suppression Systems
plans and implement predictive maintenance programs for High Voltage Transformers, HT Substations and Protections, Fire Suppression Systems and Environmental Equipment.
the daily preventive maintenance program and/or activities and coordinate with operation for any improvements.
• Help conduct failure analysis to HV/LT Drives (VSD/VFD), HV motors , Transformers, HT Substations and Protections and Environmental Equipment to eliminate if not to avoid repetition of the same in the future for continuous optimization of company’s assets.
• Determines the critical spare parts for the equipment under him and monitors the stock inventory at safe level in order to ensure availability at all times.
• Helps prepare operating plans, budgets and capital expenditure proposals to maintain and improve operation of the plant.
• Conducts daily or regular inspection of the plant to gather fresh information as basis in creating work schedules.
• Prepares and estimates materials, tools, equipment, consumables, spareparts and manpower requirements necessary to execute projects and plant shutdown received from either operations or from all other discipline in coordination with the planning section of Smelter Department.
• Oversee and Monitor the planning and execution of the section resources for the routine smelter maintenance shutdowns.
• Evaluates outgoing purchase requisitions and communications
• Manage resources to ensure strict adherence to sound management principles for the effective and efficient execution of maintenance activities to achieve maximum plant availability at the lowest practically achievable cost.
• Continuously monitor and manage the section resources for strict adherence to the relevant engineering standards and specifications and execute appropriate actions for non-compliance
• Through effective
cultivate, nurture and foster an enabling and continuous improvement climate/culture in the section
• Prepares and review the work methodology or standard operating procedures for HVAC and Fire Suppression Systems.
• Help manage the sections costs to achieve the maximum business benefit.
• Manage the human resources in the section in a manner that will ensure that the business objectives are met with minimum labor turnover.
• Ensure that good work ethics is sustained by effectively managing discipline with reference to absenteeism, lateness, overtime, misconduct, etc. within the section.
• Develop Zambian locals thru trainings to impart ideas and technical knowhow on drives, battery chargers and standby power systems.
Minimum of a Degree or Diploma in Electrical, or equivalent appropriate experience
Qualification in the Electrical Field
Preference will be given for experience in Variable Speed/Frequency Drives (VSD/VFD’s), Power Generations, Substations and Protections and HT motors
A minimum of 2.5 years relevant experience and/or exposure in an Electrical Engineering /Supervisory position level in either Mine or Pyromettalurgical Mineral processing environment.
Extensive experience with :
HT/LT Drives (Schneider and ABB Drives)
HT Electric Motors
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Cable jointing, termination and fault finding capabilities
Reading Electrical drawings (Schematic and Single Line Diagrams)
HT/HV switching and control systems
Overhead Travelling Cranes