USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
DISTRICT NUTRITION TECHNICAL OFFICER
Northern and Luapula Provinces
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia. The National Food and Nutrition Commission (NFNC) implements SUN as part of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program. SUN 2.0, the second phase of the program, has three major components: (1) Pooled Multi-Donor SUN Fund, (2) SUN Technical Assistance (SUN TA), and (3) SUN Learning and Evaluation. Working in parallel with the SUN Fund, the USAID/Zambia SUN TA program will provide support and direct technical assistance to sub-national government departments in target provinces and districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two.
USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions will increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding habits and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project will prioritize sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
Northern Province: The District Nutrition Technical Officer will be based in Kaputa district with frequent (more than 50% of time) travel throughout assigned district.
Luapula Province: The District Nutrition Technical Officer will be based in Nchelenge district with frequent (more than 50% of time) travel throughout assigned district.
The District Nutrition Technical Officer will work in close collaboration with the District Nutrition Coordination Committee (DNCC), District Coordination Committee (DCC), and the line ministries participating in the committees, and will support the implementation of the District work plans and activities and improve district capacity in the areas of health and nutrition, agriculture and livelihood, and water and sanitation.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical, administrative, and logistical support for SUN TA program activities in the assigned district on nutrition and health
- Support MoH efforts in the respective district towards effective Growth Monitoring and Promotion Activities in the health facilities and outreach activities
- Working closely with the DNCC and District Nutritionists under MoH, provide innovations to increased coverage of Growth Monitoring and Promotion (GMP)
- Working closely with the DNCC and District Nutritionist under the MoH, strengthen the Promotive aspect of Growth Monitoring and Promotion in all the health facilities catchments including outreach activities
- Work closely with the DNCC and MoA to promote own production of nutritious vegetables, processing and preservation
- Through the DNCC promote relevant evidenced based practical behavioral change communication for improved Infant, Maternal and Young Child Nutrition
- Collaborate with SUN TA district technical staff to plan and implement service strengthening activities as assigned, and to ensure they are coordinated with and involve key district sector staff ( DNCC).
- Participate in district-level technical working groups for content areas of maternal and child health and nutrition.
- Ensure quality implementation of the nutrition program in close collaboration with the district level key sector ministerial staff (DNCC)
- Serve as a liaison between district committees and other district stakeholders – DNCC and the SUN TA program, ensuring smooth and efficient communication, positive relationship-building, and collaboration
- Conduct joint supportive supervision and quality control monitoring visits to sub-district levels (Wards, Zones and Communities and Mother Support Groups
- Collect and document success stories and lessons learned, ensuring these are shared in a systematic way with other project staff and relevant stakeholders
- Support the collection of qualitative and quantitative information for program monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL)
- Identify and secure appropriate venues for trainings and workshops, and contribute and participate in program events
- Other duties as assigned by the District Coordinator and national level team for successful achievement of program objectives in the assigned district
5. Reporting and Supervision:
The District Nutrition Technical Officer will report directly to the District Manager and will be supported by national level SUN TA Nutrition and Child Health Expert.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Nutrition or a related field and at least 5 years of relevant work experience in one of the following areas: health and nutrition, agriculture and livelihood, and water and sanitation
- Strong communications and writing skills and ability to collaborate effectively
- Proven problem-solving skills and exceptional stakeholder relations with both internal and external parties
- Well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement, high ethical standards, and operational focus
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to sub-district levels
To apply for this job please visit fs9.formsite.com .