- Company: DAI Global LLC
- Location: Zambia
- State: Mansa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Zambia
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, health and nutrition, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and sanitation, natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background: The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA provides support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project prioritizes sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
Luapula Province: The District Manager will be based in Mansa District with frequent (more than 50% of time) travel throughout assigned district.
3. Objective: The District Manager is responsible for leading the SUN TA district offices, including oversight of all technical and operational activities and staff with an aim to achieve program objectives. The District Manager will oversee TA activities developed in collaboration with the Regional Manager and the District Technical Officers in response to the needs and priorities articulated in the district work plans and will help selected districts reach coverage targets for ward and communities. In addition, with support from the SUN TA Lusaka office, the District Manager, in conjunction with his/her district office team, will be responsible for building the technical and managerial capacity of the PNCCs through direct TA, training, coaching and mentoring, so that they can work as sustainable partners to drive SUN TA activities down to the district, ward and community levels.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all SUN TA activities in the assigned district office, working closely with the Regional Manager and program staff to ensure successful day-to-day management and seamless integration and roll-out of project activities
- Participate in annual workplan development and ensure program implementation in selected districts are in line with planned activities, on time, and within budget
- Work with the District Technical Officers to support assigned district as they develop and roll out their district activities
- Coordinate closely with the Regional Manager and Lusaka office to curate TA support packages and ensure appropriate integration and sequencing of multisectoral activities in a way that amplifies reduction in stunting; mobilize and deliver direct TA to address needs as they evolve
- Contribute data and analysis to monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad hoc communications and reports, and to ME&L reports
- Build and manage effective relationships with partners and stakeholders
- Collaborate with the other District Coordinators to ensure that lessons learned are shared between corresponding local government institutions across provinces and districts
- Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations, DAI policies, and local laws, in coordination with Finance and Operations team
- Supervise, mentor, and train District office staff; provide oversight of performance management requirements for the District office team
- Represent the project at activities and events as required
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Regional Manager for successful implementation of field activities
5. Reporting and Supervision:
The District Manager will report directly to his/her assigned Regional Manager and will supervise up to three District Technical Officers and a District Finance and Administration Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to SUN TA’s technical areas of focus (agriculture and livelihood, maternal and child health and nutrition, water and sanitation); Master’s Degree preferred
- 10+ years of progressive experience managing program activities on USAID or other donor assistance programs in Zambia related to SUN TA technical areas of focus
- Demonstrated understanding of policies and procedures related to technical, operational, and grant management on donor-funded programs; knowledge of USAID program implementation preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with local organizations and partners to support capacity building and achieve donor program outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop staff, prepare and manage workplans and deliverables, and plan strategically and creatively to meet program objectives
- Strong communications skills and the ability to negotiate effectively and provide exceptional customer relations when dealing with both internal and external parties and stakeholders
- Prior team management and supervisory experience is required
- Well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement, high ethical standards, and operational focus
- Able and willing to travel frequently and work at the community level within the assigned district
- Fluency in English is required