PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH is currently seeking to recruit a Deputy Country Director who will support the Country Program Leader to effectively lead and manage the Zambia Country Program. The Deputy Country Director will provide regular technical support to assigned PATH Zambia project teams to help them establish quality, sound, reliable, effective, and efficient project management systems. S/he will work with the project teams in support of technical oversight and quality of PATH’s portfolio of projects.
The Zambia Country Program portfolio includes projects across priority health programs such as malaria, nutrition, digital health, immunization, Critical Care, policy and advocacy as well as TB with funding from donors that include the United States Agency for International Development, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, GAVI and the Conrad Hilton Foundation. With a staff establishment of above 160, the PATH Zambia Country office is fast growing and the second largest office in Africa.
- Work with the Country Director to lead, direct, and oversee PATH’s work in Zambia and contribute to PATH Zambia’s overall strategic and organizational development. Specifically:
- Work with the Country Director and selected PATH staff in Zambia and internationally to support the execution of the Zambia Country portfolio.
- Work with the Country Director to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Ministry of Health, partners including CSOs, and current and potential funders.
- Co-ordinate PATH’s participation in key policy fora including TWGs and other technical and coordination bodies nationally and regionally both within the Government of Zambia’s MOH and other relevant ministries and NGO/CSO coordination bodies working closely with project directors.
- Work with the Country Director to identify and respond to potential opportunities and assist in the expansion and diversification of PATH’s portfolio in the country.
- Provide technical support and oversight to specific projects as directed by the Country Director and in consultation with project directors.
- MD, Master of Public Health (MPH), Ph.D.
- At least 10 years’ experience in public health programming.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with an international NGO in one of the domains of health programs.
- Extensive experience in business development; including working with the private sector.
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects.
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and supervising staff and consultants in a cross-cultural context; demonstrated skills in coaching and mentoring staff.
- Experience in the development and implementation of systems for grants and grant monitoring.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in one or more of the primary programming areas of PATH Zambia projects, including experience conceptualizing, designing, appraising, and managing developing projects.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of large projects with multiple partners.
- Strong leadership, strategic planning, and technical skills, with proven capacity to direct and manage change, and inspire high-performing teams.
- Strong track record of MoH and donor liaison, including demonstrated ability to oversee the preparation of proposals for funding.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Zambia Health Systems and donor landscape
- Passion for and commitment to public health.
- Ability to interact and negotiate effectively with donor and collaborative agencies and private foundations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with private, public, and not-for-profit and for-profit organizations
- Demonstrated skills in negotiations and effective communications with partner organizations.
- Ability to facilitate decision-making processes and to build constructive alliances internally and externally.
- Ability to provide technical support mentorship in programmatic issues.
- Demonstrate ability to understand global health development issues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Exceptional interpersonal, teamwork, partnering, and supervisory skills.
- Ability to be flexible and manage and accomplish multiple priorities and be results-oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage multi-tasks at the same time
- Knowledgeable about Health information & Technological systems
- Must have legal authorization to work in Zambia.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
*PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers.*
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: