Deputy Chief of Party, (DCOP), Field Operations-Zambia- Let’s Read Project
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
20 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, June 07, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grade 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) Field Operations will be an integral part of the USAID Let’s Read Senior Management Team and will lead on coordinating issues pertaining to field implementation and operations. The DCOP – Field Operations will coordinate operational and logistic issues with Provincial Office Managers, MoGE, project partners and other key stake holders to support the overall administrative management of the Let’s Read Project. S/he is expected to work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) and technical leads to ensure that the technical program team receives a full range of administrative and operations support efficiently and in compliance with contractor and donor regulations.
Essential Functions, but are not limited to:
• Provide a full range of administrative and operations support efficiently and in compliance with contractor and donor regulations. Provide direct, support and oversight of field?based activities, including teacher training and distribution of materials at the field level.
• Provide strategic input into planned activities. Represent the Project in Zambia, interfacing with vendors, clients, peer organizations, partners and others; build positive client, vendor, and funder relations.
• Serve as Acting Chief of Party in the absence of Chief of Party. Enforce the terms of the contract, specifically expected project results, and ensure compliance with requirements.
• Participate in regular planning activities with technical team for seamless administrative and logistical support;
• Closely coordinate with Field and Finance teams regarding provision of support to field related activities and program implementation;
• Set up systems in compliance with policies and funder regulations rooted in effective management practice in close collaboration with the COP and EDC Home Office support staff;
• Conduct reviews and assessments of field office procedures and documentation as directed;
• Identify and improve areas of operational inefficiencies;
• Provide managerial support to the Chief of Party.
Field Operations Management
• Management and supervision of Program Managers;
• Directs, supports and provides oversight of field-based activities, including teacher training and distribution of materials at the field level;
• Develops, in conjunction with the Chief of Party, project work plans and reports for the donor and others as required;
• Provides strategic input into planned activities;
• Represents EDC and the Project in the host country, interfacing with vendors, clients, peer organizations, partners and others; builds positive client, vendor, and funder relations.
• Responsible for management support to address any office needs, maintenance requests from staff and oversee overall office operations;
• Provide clear guidance to field administrative team on office management and coordinates approval of field operations requests by project management.
• Supervise and provide guidance on bulk procurements in close coordination with Procurement Manager and EDC Home Office team;
• Facilitate activity planning at project offices to ensure coordinated support for program implementation and for cost effective and compliant procurement processes;
• Organize weekly meetings and quarterly planning activities, as necessary;
• Oversee status of vendor contracts, ensuring timely payment and follow up on contracted deliverables;
• Support the Procurement Manager and Project Managers to manage clear and compliant documentation of procurement steps;
• Supervise the timely preparation of inventory management documents, with verification and submission on a regular basis for EDC internal regulations and funder requirements;
• Lead planning efforts for teaching and learning materials as well as IT equipment distribution.
• Supervises project managers as well as procurement and logistics team.
• Serve as Acting Chief of Party when Chief of Party is on leave or away from post;
• Enforce the terms of the funder expectations, specifically expected project results, and ensure compliance with requirements;
• Coordinate with EDC Home Office for consistent interpretations of contract;
• Demonstrate a high level of professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential documents and issues, and with co-workers and EDC partners;
• Provide support to other special initiatives as may be needed.
Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) Field Operations reports to the Chief of Party.
The ideal candidate will have had experience as a Deputy Chief of Party and/or Senior Operations Manager on a USAID or other donor project highly preferred. The candidate for the position of Operations Manager shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Bachelors’ degree in a related field.
Skills and Experience:
• At least six years of relevant work experience in a managerial capacity;
• Familiarity with USAID regulations;
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications;
• Knowledge in preparing effective presentations and reports;
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of professionals;
• Ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive tasks professionally and with high quality;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
• Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment; and
• Willingness to travel to provinces covered by the project.
• Demonstrated experience working in similar managerial capacity.
• Demonstrated experience in operation management, and procurement processes including experience working with geographically dispersed teams. Familiarity with USAID regulations. Bachelors’ degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or relevant field.
Fluency in English is required.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com .