About the Role
We currently have a career opportunity for COORDINATOR SAFETY (x1 ). Reporting to the Advisor – Quality and Compliance, you will be required to provide inspection and advisory service aspects of occupational health and safety in order to effectively promote safe working conditions around workspaces at CEC. Further, you are required to support the Company’s Integrated Management Systems in line with the ISO 45001:2018 standard.
What you will be expected to do to reach success & optimal performance:
- Ensure that the day-to-day management of safety issues are addressed by the local operational teams.
- Liaise with all Safety Officers and assist in implementation of safety and health standards in line with the CEC corporate strategy and annual business plans.
- Attend and participate in safety meetings, toolbox talk meetings and other safety programs to provide HSE information and support to operations teams.
- Conduct safety lectures for all levels of employees to improve employees’ understanding of safety rules and regulations to reduce accidents.
- Conduct site inductions for employees and contractors as well as other training as required.
- Assist and partake in the formulation of risk assessments and control procedures.
- Monitor and ensure effective implementation of control measures determined from risk assessments.
- Carry out in-depth investigations into all reported incidents to determine the direct, sub and underlying causes so as to make appropriate recommendations to management.
- Assist with the investigation of near-misses, incidents and unsafe working conditions.
- In conjunction with local supervisors and employee’s safety representatives, conduct regular informal daily (snap checks) and periodic formal safety inspections in all areas to ensure compliance with Company and regulatory HSE standards.
- Carry out health and safety audits of all workspaces and line officials to ensure compliance to safe work procedures.
- Regular analysis of safety statistics to determine trends in order to focus on shortcomings, poor performing areas and enable informed decisions.
- Carry out public safety sanitizations to disseminate safety information relating to the power network installations to members of the community in which CEC power infrastructure traverses.
- In conjunction with the Transport department, foster compliance to road safety rules and promote defensive driving skills among drivers of Company vehicles.
- Ensure personal protective equipment (such as hearing protection, dust masks, safety glasses) are issued and available as needed and inspected on a regular basis.
- Ensure that alcohol screening and confirmation tests at entrance to Company facilities are carried out on employees, contractors, and visitors.
- Monitoring performance of the portable and installed alcohol compliance and monitoring equipment.
- Demonstrate behavior in line with CEC values, standards, and expectations of a professional workplace.
- Participate as an effective team member in working collaboratively with leaders, peers and relevant others (including from other teams) to achieve business goals.
- Optimize human resources in a way that ensures maximum productivity is delivered by the section.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Grade 12 School Certificate.
- Essential: Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
- Desirable: Degree from recognized institute.
- Engineering qualification will be an added advantage.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
- Minimum of 2 years’ safety experience within the mining industry or from a power utility.
- Experience in safety investigations and auditing.
- Experience in development of safety procedures and standards within the organization.
- Good writing and interpersonal skills.
- Good public relations skills.
- Good presentation skills using constructive and logical approaches.
- Computer literate.
- Sound business acumen with ability to anticipate and interpret changes impacting on health and safety programs and approaches.
- Knowledge of OH&S systems, preferably ISO 45001:2018 management system.
- Should have a proactive approach and sound knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety applications along with excellent communication, both written and oral.
- Should have clean drivers’ license.
If you have the relevant experience & skills as indicated above, kindly email your application to [email protected] Please indicate the job title in the subject line of your e-mail and use your full name and the job you are applying for as the filename of your application (e.g., Rex Mwewa_Coordinator Safety). The application should consist of your letter and CV only, in a single document. Hard copy applications will not be accepted. The closing date is Friday, 5 February 2021 .
Applicants are requested to provide daytime contact telephone numbers . Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Who We Are
The Copperbelt Energy Corporation Plc (“CEC”), is a Zambian incorporated and publicly traded power generation, transmission, distribution and supply company; accounting for around 45% of national power consumption. CEC is a major developer of energy infrastructure in Africa and a leading international power trader in Southern Africa.
The Company owns and operates over 1,000 kilometres of high voltage transmission lines and 43 substations covering all towns in Zambia’s mineral-rich region of the Copperbelt and owns the Zambian portion of the electricity interconnector with the Democratic Republic of Congo, which enables transportation of power within the Southern African region.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]