At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
The key focus of this role is to manage the occupational health program and medical surveillance program at both Kansanshi and Sentinel Mine sites. It involves working closely with the contracted occupational health services provider, wellness professionals, treating medical staff and stakeholders on the mine site (Industrial hygiene, HR and HODs) to ensure fitness to work, limiting occupational disease and to support the timely return to normal work. This position is the point of contact between the medical service provider and the mine site (HR and safety) for any communication of employee health matters. It acts as an oversight for the risks based medical surveillance programme, fitness to work any recommended restricted duties and ensures that these are applicable and that quality of the occupational health program is maintained. In addition, the position may need to interact with the Zambian Occupational Health and Safety Institute as required. Specific roles include
- Interacting with the Industrial hygiene department to mutually understand workplace hazards and risks, link occupational risk exposure profiles into homogenous exposure groups and development a risk/ exposure-based fitness for work and medical surveillance programme. The role will require the current system to be reviewed and updated
- Management of the risk based medical surveillance program including consistent review and updates to keep the programme in line with Zambian and global best practice guidelines.
- Management and collaboration with the occupational health service provider to ensure quality service is maintained and a smooth process flow is in place.
- Training and upskilling of the clinical occupational health team and administration team.
- Ensure a holistic approach is followed for return to work by reviewing the management action plan and ensuring collaboration of the relevant doctor, medical director, fitness coordinator, specialists and other health professionals.
- Review and monitoring work capacity certificates and medical status reports for medical boarding recommendations.
- Give input to develop the work hardening program and ensure appropriate referrals are made to it with appropriate measures to track outcomes and return of investment.
- Identify complex cases that need more specialized occupational medicine opinion and consult with the relevant specialists for injury and disability management.
- Work collaboratively with nominated stakeholders on the mine sites including HR, industrial hygiene and safety departments and ensure that communication involving occupational health matters is done effectively and in good time.
- Develop methods for tracking effectiveness of interventions and review the programmes where necessary including continuous review of SOP’s and occupational health guidelines and processes.
- The incumbent should ensure regular reports are made available on occupational health matters including attendance, trends of occupational disease and health risk assessments. On the basis of this, review and revise programmes as required.
- Identify the need for and coordinate multidisciplinary meetings. It is important that communication between different stakeholders is facilitated regularly.
- Manage and implement an electronic health records system
- Interact closely with the wellness team in meeting mutual goals
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Degree in occupational health or occupational medicine AND a degree in a health profession
- Post-graduate degree in occupational health or health surveillance will be beneficial
- Any additional certificates or training in the area of organizational psychology, wellness programming or health promotions would be beneficial
- 5 years’ experience in the design and management of risk based health surveillance programs and return to work planning or disability management.
- 3 years managerial experience of an occupational health program and managing an occupational health team
- Understanding of working in a multidisciplinary health team is essential
- Experience in working in an international setting and delivering health care services in the mining sector, ideally in a remote and resource constrained area.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantum.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com .