|Salary||to be discussed|
|Contract type||Consultant Agreement|
|Contract length||from start until July 31, 2021|
|Full Time||37 hours per week|
|Application Closing Date||28 Apr 2021|
|Interview date||May 4, 2021|
|Start date||May 10, 2021|
VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to co-ordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes in Africa and Asia focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peace building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
VSO is seeking a consultant to manage the process of delivering selected communications products for the Polio Emergency Operating Centre (EOC) Africa Project, a project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
The consultant will be expected to facilitate the development of the following deliverables:
1. A Video Documentary
A short video documentary to celebrate the successes achieved by the project. This will include snippets of the EOC commissioning ceremonies which were held when the buildings were completed. These were done to document the formal handover of the EOC to the national government. So far, 5 out of 9 countries have completed these ceremonies with the remaining expected to be complete by the end of April. Raw video footage of these events will be provided. This documentary will also include short interviews with key stakeholders and partners (such as GPEI coordinators, government officials and VSO staff) involved in supporting the work in each country. The project team will coordinate with the consultant to select the relevant individuals for this interviews. The documentary will showcase how the EOC has or will be useful in eradicating polio across the countries. Virtual/in-person EOC meeting should be happening weekly in functional EOCs.
Please note that while the country teams are managing their respective EOC launches with a separate budget, we may seek the advice of the Communications Consultant in planning these activities if needed.
2. Factsheet: VSO’s unique role in building EOC capacity
A 2-3 page fact sheet for potential future partners and institutional donors that explains why VSO and/or the VFD approach has been a critical part of the EOC rollout, positioning VSO for further work in similar contexts. This could also document the role of the EOCs in facilitating COVID vaccine role out in the countries.
3. Presentation: VSO’s unique role in building EOC capacity
To be used internally by VSO to demonstrate the successes of the project to other staff, but also externally at development conferences and other speaking opportunities. To feature:
• Evidence of need
• VSO’s unique contribution
4. Case studies: evidencing the need
Capture the human stories behind vaccine-derived poliovirus, explaining the need for Polio Emergency Operations Centers. To engage stakeholders, potential donors and supporters in VSO’s work. This could include:
• Interviews with GPEI coordinators and government officials to evidencing the impact or potential impact of EOCs (perhaps examples of how these have been effective in dealing with other outbreaks e.g. ebola, measles, etc)
• Interview with community members evidencing new-found health-seeking behaviours
• Evidence from community volunteer about effective implementation, social inclusion, safeguarding, child protection, security and social accountability
• Personal interviews with VSO staff
5. Video: the unique role of volunteering
The consultant may also develop a 60-90 second video for VSO documenting how our unique approach to development has been essential in building the skills of local EOC staff and getting the community support that’s essential for vaccine rollout. This could include:
• Evidence of community volunteers working with community members
• Interview with community members evidencing new-found health seeking behaviours
• Evidence of materials regarding polio immunisation in various print, audio and digital forms
• Evidence of training community volunteers on effective implementation, social inclusion, safeguarding, child protection, security and social accountability
Please note that the consultant will be ONLY be responsible for managing the process of making these products rather than doing it by him/herself. The consultant will be responsible for reviewing and finalizing the scope for these deliverables as well as developing Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Request for Quotes (RFQ) to identify and engage people/companies who will deliver these different pieces of work.
Skills, qualifications and experience
Applicant Profile and Competencies:
• Extensive experience in producing development work related documentaries for international organizations. Experience in education will be advantage
• Excellent project management skills
• Well-equipped and with excellent technical competencies to ensure smooth and high quality production.
• Excellent communication skills in English and French is essential
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications. Interviews will take place on rolling basis and selection may be completed before the closing date.
The selected consultant may be offered short duration agreement due to funding.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
Once you’re ready to apply, click on ‘make an application’ below to complete the online form.
To apply for this job please visit www.vsointernational.org .