Cluster Coordinators - O3PLUS Project Zambia
Jobs at:United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Deadline of this Job:
31 October 2021
Within Zambia , Zambia , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overview of the Functions of the Post
Under the overall authority of the Regional Director of the UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa, and the direct supervision of the Regional Team Leader (Education for Health and Well Being) for Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) and the Senior National Programme Officer, (Education for Health and Well Being), the Cluster Coordinators are responsible for providing direct support in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the Our Rights, Our Future, Our Lives (O3 Plus) project for the realization of positive health, education and gender equality outcomes for young people in Higher and Tertiary Institutions of Zambia. Under the Cluster approach, the position will be based at lead college or university participating in the project. A Cluster comprises two institutions in the same geographic location by district or province. A dual reporting and accountability for the Cluster Coordinator, between UNESCO and hosting college or university is foreseen.
Specifically, the incumbent(s) will perform the following duties;
• Working directly with college and university authorities, support the institutionalization of Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE), Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) service provision and prevention of / response to sexual and gender-based violence for young people in tertiary institutions, including Young People Living with HIV, young people with disabilities.
• Support the capacity building of the Higher and Tertiary Education Institutions (HTEIs) to deliver quality and effective CSE through training of health care workers, lecturers, tutors, and peer educators/mentoring programs;
• Facilitate capacity strengthening of campus health facilities to offer a trusted standard package of youth-friendly health services for students, along with sustained referral mechanisms to specialist care and support services as needed;
• Coordinate and liaise with all SRH/CSE/GBV stakeholders to ensure wide coverage of programme service delivery for increased uptake and impact;
• Re-invigorate existing structures to ensure students have access to comprehensive SRHR information and services through strengthening collaboration between HTEIs and relevant ministries, facilitating mobile health services and ‘in-reach’ programs by external service providers and implementation of a scorecard framework for assessing quality of service provision;
• Support the development, implementation and effective enforcement of laws and policies to protect students from sexual and gender based violence that they may encounter in and around campus;
• Contribute to the establishment of a knowledge-sharing platform, providing an opportunity for institutions to collaborate, network, share knowledge and provide collective suggestions on issues related to health and well-being, practice and programs and evidence-based research;
• Establish cluster-level working groups including staff/senior leadership, student representation and active Civil Society Organization (CSO) service providers;
• Lead the compilation of SRH/CSE/GBV innovations, stories of change and learnings for sharing in relevant local and national level Education, HIV, SRH, Gender and other important platforms;
• Coordinate CSE/SRH monthly and quarterly work plan review meetings at cluster level;
• Ensure timely narrative and financial reporting on project and budget portfolio falling under the incumbent's responsibility, both within UNESCO and to external donors as appropriate;
• Support operations research, monitoring & evaluation around CSE/SRH for young people in tertiary institutions to enhance evidence-based planning and implementation of programmes;
• Any other duties as may be reasonably required by UNESCO and HTEIs leadership.
Competencies (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework . REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• A Master’s Degree in Education, Social Sciences, Public Health or a relevant field is required.
• At least three (3) years of progressively responsible, professional work experience in developing, coordinating, implementing and monitoring projects on sexual and reproductive health, Gender Based Violence Prevention, Comprehensive Sexuality Education, HIV and AIDS programmes for young people.
• Experience in working with Government ministries, Higher and Tertiary Education Institutions, international/national Non-Governmental Organizations and UN Agencies.
Skills and Competencies
• Strong knowledge of the country context, with a particular focus on education and public health
• Experience in Project management
• Extensive professional knowledge and experience on adolescent sexual and reproductive health, including GBV, CSE, HIV and AIDS programming
• Strong interpersonal skills and experience in partnership building
• High level of technical writing skills on issues related to SRH programmes for young people;
• A track record in programme coordination, ability to manage budgets and report on implementation;
• Excellent organizational, networking and partnership building skills, tact and discretion;
• Experience in training, coordination and/or institutional and human capacity building;
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation;
• Excellent strategic and analytical skills;
• Good computer and other IT skills including proficiency in MS office packages.
• Fluency (oral and written) in English.
• Fluency in at least one of the local languages
• Significant technical expertise and experience in UNESCO’s key leadership and main partner responsibilities within the UNAIDS division of labour and familiarity with UNAIDS
• Experience working in the higher and tertiary education sector
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.