Civil Engineer (Site Engineer)
Deadline of this Job:
06 June 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNOPS is looking to engage Civil Engineers based at each of the sites. The Civil Engineers will lead the monitoring of contractors’ work at different dams rehabilitation/construction sites (Ngolongozya, Nachibanga, Ndondi, Makaba, Kanyika, Kawiko, Nabowa, Katembula, Chibalashi, Chikowa). The site engineers will work under the supervision of the Project Manager responsible for each site.
Functions / Key Results Expected:
Health and safety
1. Construction management
• Carry out construction supervision as set out in the physical works contract;
• Identify and report on potential delays and or cost overruns that can be avoided;
• Prepare weekly and monthly reports that cover supervision activities.
• Prepare, manage and monitor performance tracking management systems to enable work plans to be followed at the field level with personnel being accountable for their outputs;
• Assist the Project Manager to ensure that the planned activities are conducted safely, on time, within budget and scope;
• Identify risks, develop mitigation solutions and escalate to the Project Manager;
• Ensure that the implementation of works is in accordance with UNOPS operational directives, instructions and guidelines.
• Manage the utilization of Operational Advances (cash advances) in the field and their correct utilisation according to UNOPS operational directives, instructions and manuals;
• Manage the implementation of construction as per the design approved by the Design Review Team and manage the interaction for any potential design changes in accordance with UNOPS standards, manuals and guidelines;
• Represent the Project Manager and UNOPS at coordination, community group and other stakeholder meetings, as delegated, especially in relation to the progress of works implementation;
• Support the Project Manager with the valuation of construction work for interim progress payment certificates; the valuation of variations and the assessment of claims.
• Support the DNP manager with site visits and reporting during the DNP period.
• 2. Health, safety and environmental management
• Manage and monitor the implementation of the works to ensure strict compliance with all UNOPS Health Safety Social & Environment (HSSE) policies, Management Plan and act as the lead resource in the field;
• Manage the implementation of the health, safety and environmental management requirements contained in the design documentation or provided by a third party such as the donor (Environmental and social impact assessment or Environmental and social safeguards);
• Adopt sustainable, ‘green building’, construction approaches and techniques, including environmental sustainability, throughout the construction stage;
• Identify, assess and mitigate health, safety and environment risks during construction.
• 3. Quality management
• Conduct quality assurance procedures to ensure that the requirements of the contract quality plan are being complied with;
• Conduct site and material inspections, oversee site tests and prepare reports to support the Project Manager;
• Monitor all project activities in relation to the respective project work package plans and take corrective action, when necessary, to ensure the timely and cost effective delivery of project outputs;
• Maintain and contribute to the project communication system to facilitate the dissemination of information and reports to all key stakeholders;
• Participate in the preparation and monitoring of project progress and other reports (including risk logs, issues log, lessons learned, etc.);
• Manage the daily labour contract in accordance with UNOPS operational directives, instructions and manuals;
• Assist the contractor, using UNOPS HSSE guidelines, to implement adequate health and safety training for their personnel;
• Manage the preparation of; site instructions; contract administration documentation: progress reports; contractor and stakeholder meeting minutes; site monitoring reports;
• Examine the contractor’s progress payment claims for accuracy and compliance with the conditions of contract;
• Prepare and check for accuracy the database covering the available materials shipped to the project; the schedules of labour and monitoring of quality during the physical works progress;
• Liaise with local contractors and material suppliers to monitor current market conditions and trends.
• 4. Project closure
• Assist the Project Manager by acting as witness during the commissioning process;
• Manage the collection of field data, H & S compliance documentation and preparation of As-built drawings by the contractor;
• Carry out file archiving of all construction monitoring and contract administration documentation in line with UNOPS archiving procedures;
• Support the Project Manager with the preparation of the final payment certificate.
• 5. Knowledge management
• Take personal responsibility for engaging in continued professional development (CPD);
• Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
• Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other Engineers and the Engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System;
Collaborate with technical team members including but not limited to architects, engineers, project managers and quantity surveyors
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited university is required.
• Advanced/Masters degree in Civil engineering, Construction Management or related built environment field is an asset.
• A minimum of two (2) years’ of relevant engineering experience is required.
• A minimum of two (2) years’ experience of supervising construction activities is required.
• Experience in building construction, or water capture and storage, disaster risk management and quality management systems is desirable.
• Experience in dams construction or rehabilitation, or procurement and installation of oxygen plants, is an asset
• Experience in using relevant construction management or scheduling software; Google Suite applications is desirable.
• Fluency in English is required.
• Knowledge of local dialects is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.