At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the role:
Reporting to the Mine Manager, the purpose of this role is to ensure timely delivery of mine planning processes to meet the corporate strategic goals and to execute the short, medium and long term mine planning process. In addition to this, the role also requires involvement in drill and blast planning, design, timing and minable mark outs to assist with achieving the monthly and quarterly objectives.
You will also be required to develop the technical services engineering team through supervising, training, mentoring and coaching.
The role requires the incumbent to assist in ensuring all statutory requirements are met as per the Mining Regulation 204(3), Explosives Regulation 105(1), Mines and Minerals (Environmental) Regulations 3(2).
- Ensuring the mine planning department provides mine planning and scheduling services to meet mining department plans and budgets.
- To develop, interpret and execute long term mine plans and scheduling models for the operating mine.
- Manage all mine planning and scheduling processes onsite.
- Provide specialist mine planning support to the Mine Manager.
- Ensure that designs are practical, economical and address all relevant standards.
- Providing leadership in ensuring all work supports safe operation and that all staff actively participates in promoting a positive safety culture.
- Establishing suitable processes for the identification of strategic & tactical operating options.
- Ensure your team understands the work plan and priorities, and that they have the skills and knowledge necessary to provide the required level of planning for the operation.
- Proving guidance to the team when managing various technical aspects across the operation.
- Define and optimise mine planning scenarios to maximise business opportunities.
- Effective and timely collaboration and communication with Operations and Mine Planning teams.
- Ensure cutback designs are sequenced for optimal production and blasting operations.
- Assist with blast design and ensure mark outs are developed to optimise revenue and copper production.
- BSc/BEng Mining Engineering
- 15 years’ experience at supervisory or managerial level
- Have an in-depth understanding of mining and mine planning processes especially opencast mining
- 15 years’ relevant experience (preferably open-pit mining) including 5 years as a Mine Planner.
- A thorough understanding and awareness of Health, Safety and other relevant mining legislation.
- Experience in mining operational management. Project management skills.
- In-depth understanding of the mine-planning and scheduling process, especially in open-pit brown fields projects.
- Extensive experience with mining related software: SURPAC with mine scheduling; Runge OPMS; DATAMINE; Blast movement monitoring and minable mark out generation, OrePro3D.
- Open Pit and Underground Mine design.
- Strong technical and communication skills.
- Haul road and Dump design.
- Mine Dewatering and Storm water management.
- Construction or Mining Related Infrastructure.
- Experience in the construction/development of new mining operations.
- Bold initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving attendance
- Must be able to work with minimum Supervision.
- Very good verbal communication skills.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantum.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com .