Chemist - Shift Crew C
Jobs at:First Quantum
Deadline of this Job:
06 August 2021
Within Zambia , Solwezi , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Chemist - Shift Crew C
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Supervise and ensure accurate sample preparation and analysis of all process control and optimization samples from the Smelter and associated Plants to enable the Metallurgical team make informed decisions.
• This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
• Ensure that all personnel and visitors adhere to company safety regulations and requirements of the Smelter Laboratory.
• Ensure accurate sample preparation and analysis of all process control and optimization samples from the Smelter and associated plants to enable the Metallurgical team make informed decisions.
• Administer and maintain the Laboratory information management system (LIMS).
• Ensure that all analytical results generated by the Smelter Laboratory meet acceptable accuracy and precision standards by use of adequate quality controls.
• Manage the Laboratory QA/QC by use of reference materials, duplicates and blanks.
• Ensure that all activities that may impact on the quality of analytical results are documented, validated and controlled.
• Ensure assay turnaround times for process control samples are met within agreed targets.
• Generate the daily Smelter Laboratory assay report.
• Planning for Training and Development of Smelter Laboratory personnel and recruitment of Laboratory staff.
• Conduct appraisals for all Smelter Laboratory personnel.
• Ensure in-house and statutory calibrations of Smelter Laboratory Equipment are conducted (Balances, pressure vessels etc.)
• Carry out Internal Audits of the Smelter Laboratory So as to identify anomalous situations and institute corrective actions.
• Coordinate Laboratory proficiency testing activities.
• Conduct technical investigations for all non-conforming situations in sample preparation and analysis.
• Preparation of operations, Labour and Capital budgets for the Smelter Laboratory.
• Prepare the monthly Quality and Operations reports for the Smelter Laboratory.
• Ensure availability of Laboratory consumables (chemicals, spares & apparatus) and control usage to avoid abuse.
• Perform any other function as directed by the chief chemist or any senior official.
• BSc. Chemistry
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a supervisory role in a Mine site Laboratory.
• Bold Initiative
• Thinking Safety
• Upholding Quality
• Technical Skill
• Driving Quantity
• Driving Attendance
• Valid driving license
• First aid training
• Training in LIMS
• Training in quality systems
• Training in supervisory skills
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.