MARY BEGG COMMUNITY CLINIC
POSITION: BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (3)
LOCATION: KMH – SOLWEZI
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
At MBCC, the laboratory technologist will assist in accurate patient diagnosis through the delivery of a high-quality laboratory service that includes Clinical Chemistry, Haematology, Serology, Immunology, Medical Microbiology, Medical Parasitology and other Pathological Studies.
The laboratory technologist will provide clinically competent, safe and proficient phlebotomy services and have a thorough knowledge of all aspects of cold chain regulation, quality control and infection control.
- Demonstrating caring and compassion behaviour towards patients and understand their anxieties surrounding laboratory tests.
- Carry out sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysing of results according to MBCC standard operating procedures.
- Draw quality blood samples from patients using correct technique and sterile equipment.
- Preparing specimens and samples following strict safety precautions.
- Properly dispose of used needles in the appropriate containers.
- Follow standard procedure with regards to needle stick injuries.
- Responsible for accurately labelling all patient blood and bodily samples (with patient name, date of birth, date of sample collection etc.) in line with standard operating procedure.
- Construct, maintain and operate standard laboratory equipment, for example centrifuges, titrators, pipetting machines and pH meters.
- Receive blood from the Regional Blood Bank, test, and record accurate and detailed information prior to blood transfusion in line with national and local procedures.
- Competent in handling and storing chemicals and reagents.
- Responsible for maintaining required cold chain regulations.
- Responsible for monitoring expiry dates on all reagents and chemicals.
- Responsible for accurately completing all patient billing sheet.
- Responsible for monitoring adequate stock levels and maintaining minimum/maximum levels.
- Calibrate equipment by applying approved testing procedures.
- Must serve as a technical resource by participating in staff training and answering questions from other health professionals.
- Identify and communicate abnormal patient results by alerting the requesting doctor in a timely manner.
- Use and maintain correct personal protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, lab coats and gloves.
- Promptly report any potential hazards, breakages and faults to relevant authorities
- Read the material safety data sheets for any hazardous products that you use and follow any recommended safety precautions.
- Contribute to a safe and secure environment for patients, healthcare professionals and co-workers by following established standards and procedures.
- Comply with all national legal regulations.
- Report to the Laboratory Quality Assurance Manager weekly and monthly with specific statistics and quality control testing results.
- Maintain patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential at all times.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Full Grade Twelve (12) School Certificate
- Relevant qualifications and registrations as Laboratory Technologist (Diploma in Biomedical Sciences)
- HPCZ Registration
- 3 years or more work experience
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Computer Skills
HOW TO APPLY
State the position in the subject line of the email. Only a detailed Curriculum Vitae should be sent (we will ask for original certificates and registrations if called for interview).
Closing date : 7 th December 2020 .
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be shortlisted and contacted. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
To apply for this job please visit marybeggclinic.bamboohr.com .