- Provide all necessary technical input related to site development, infrastructure and building construction with due regard to environmental concern of the operation;
- Assist the UNHCR office in close monitoring of the construction/site development activities and the construction work undertaken by building contractors with the aim of accomplishing the task in the most effective manner on agreed time schedule and in conformity with the set guidelines and principles in accordance with the overall objective;
- Prepare bills of quantities (BOQs) for different construction works to be undertaken in operations;
- Prepare detailed designs for the works as directed;
- Develop detailed rates for items of work based on current market conditions;
- Inspect and review the construction projects on a periodic basis to ensure compliance with safety code and building code regulations by maintaining strict quality control procedures- this necessitates regular testing of materials, visual inspections of work, and conducting regular safety checks;
- Review the entire project to ensure that the work is being done according to the work plans and technical specifications;
- Ensure the project runs on schedule and according to budget, manage schedules of work, and find solutions to problems that may cause delays, such as the late arrival of materials;
- Assist with pre-site and on-site meetings to ensure building contracts are successful.
- Control all aspects of the site including planning work, arranging delivery of materials and contractors, and ultimately ensure contracts are delivered on time;
- Provide technical input in the general supervision, progress of construction activities and control of quality of materials and workmanship;
- Revise and update drawings as necessary and prepare documents for final handover and closure of projects;
- Maintain and update contract files on each construction project;
- Deal with problems that arise with regard to the construction workers and bring it to the attention of the Head of the technical unit;
- Attend the necessary training activities scheduled for self-improvement and general improvement of work performance;
- Support Tender Opening and Tender Evaluation, including preparation of tender documentation and payment certificates for contractors;
- Redesign of the projects as need arises;
- Detect any discrepancy in BOQs, drawings and actual work done including obtaining necessary variations;
- Conduct technical feasibility studies for identification of adequate sites in close coordination with Local Authorities at Provincial, District, and Divisional levels, as well as with the concerned line Ministries and implementing partners;
- Provide technical support to the Zambia country office in Lusaka with the establishment of shelter facilities and infrastructure for refugees from DRC with due consideration to cross cutting issues, including protection, water, health, sanitation & environmental protection and community-based protection;
- Ensure that basic technical criteria of land availability/property, accessibility, security, topography, water resources, absorption capacity, and adequate terrain for proper sanitation facilities are taken into consideration while selecting potential sites. Other factors such as national reserves, migration corridor, and flooding, possible conflict with the local population have also to be taken into consideration when identifying potential settlement solutions;
- Create a shelter strategy for Maheba Refugee settlement, provide technical guidance and support for infrastructure development, emergency & semi-permanent shelter and durable solutions for an out of a camp settlement;
- Assist in the search of alternative energy projects as and when feasible in Maheba refugee settlement;
- Design and create new reception and transit center as well as strategies to initiate settlements benefitting both host communities and asylum seekers;
- Assess the structural safety of public buildings, measure the absorption capacity within a community for host arrangements while ensuring that humanitarian standards are met to ensure dignified living conditions;
- Develop, in close coordination with implementing partners and other concerned parties, settlement plans and their implementation modalities, including construction/rehabilitation of communal infrastructures (latrines, water points, etc.), taking into account the overall needs of target groups, their cultural preferences and the concerns of the local communities;
- Carry out any other activities as may be directed by the Head of the Solwezi Sub Office
- At least 2 years of work experience in a similar assignment;
- Any experience at international level would be an added advantage;
- Prior experience in implementing settlement projects in humanitarian context and emergencies, providing assitance in liaison with operational partner’s and governmental technical departments;
- Previous involvement in implementation processes (including the development of bills of quantities, analysis of local capacity and local markets, cost estimations etc.);
- Knowledge of UNHCR/Sphere technical guidelines and rules for adequate orientation, ventilation;
- Ability to communicate well in English and prepare technical reports and knowledge of the regional language is an advantage;
- Proven experience with in site planning and ability to achieve quality results, on time and within available resources;
- Ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activates to achieve a common objective in the area of site planning;
- Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks in a courteous and service-oriented manner in demanding working conditions that other have short deadlines;
- Exposure to UNHCR mandate, its priorities and principles.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Knowledge of a range of site planning assistance options, including sensitivity to cultural and gender specific needs to ensure that the social and cultural background is taken into account while designing and developing refugee/staff accommodations or offices;
- Proven technical expertise in the relevant area including survey, programme implementation, technical design, monitoring and coordination.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup . Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile . Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 03 January 2021
To apply for this job please visit http://www.unv.org .