Reports to Lab Operations Manager. The incumbent is responsible for the management of personnel and the entire quality system of the microbiology and TB laboratories as well as oversee/monitor daily operational needs of department. He/she will be responsible for processing clinical specimens for the detection of bacteria and Mycobacteria using broad spectrum of microbiological tools: light and fluorescent microscopy; culture systems (solid culture and fully automated liquid culture systems for TB); classical and molecular technology-based culture identification systems, drug susceptibility testing.
- Performs a variety of microbiological procedures to cultivate, isolate and identify microorganisms from clinical specimens and other specimens.
- Conducts routine and specialized microbiological procedures as required.
- Prepares solutions, reagents, culture media, equipment, apparatus and accessories and other supplies needed at the lab.
- Ensures that all equipment and apparatus used in all tests and analysis are cleaned and sterilized after microbiological analysis, calibrated, and maintained
- Prepares microbiological media.
- Performs serological and antigen/antibody tests as may be required
- Acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge of standard operating procedures and safety regulations related to every procedure in TB laboratory
- Submit updated monthly laboratory functional report, including issues identified and remedial actions provided
- Conduct monthly inventory of reagents and other supplies and equipment essential to laboratory operation.
- Responsible for writing, reviewing or updating all existing policies, procedures and logs and ensure only current policies, procedures and logs are available and in use
- Prepares and maintains technical reports on results of analyses conducted
- Conducts training for new and existing employees as required
- Manages staff competency at the bench and ensure that all testing Techs are competent at all times and maintain an updated competency database
- Monitor staffs adherence to ALL policies and procedures.
- Prepares and maintains complete and accurate records of reagents or media using established procedures, formulas, stock solutions and fixed volume measuring devices.
- Forecast, quantify and track procurement of reagents and consumables for the department.
- Closely monitor TAT for all tests in respective labs
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- At least a degree in Biomedical Sciences or equivalent.
- At least 6 years of working experience in a clinical microbiology lab and TB Lab within a well-established QMS. At least 2 years of the 7 years must be at management level.
- Proficiency in the operation of automated microbiology and TB equipment will be preferred
- Registration with Health Professions Council of Zambia and Possession of a Valid Practicing License is a requirement
- Internal audit training by a reputable QMS regulatory organization is an added advantage.
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply; however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please send application letter and detailed CV quoting Reference Number and day-time telephone number to CIDRZ but the letter should be addressed to;
CIDRZ Human Resources Director,
PO Box 34681,
NOTE: Hard copy applications will NOT be accept