The Agronomist is responsible for the working with the Essential Commodities grower group supplying ECL factory to optimize supply, cost and quality. This individual must be comfortable meeting with growers and industry groups on farms, conducting research trials, facilitating grower extension, as well as communicating with and between grower and company personnel. The Agronomist will report directly to the Managing Director.
- Focus on developing strong relationships with growers in the Zambia. Develop a deep understanding of the growers in Zambia, delivering technical solutions and successfully transferring those solutions and best practices.
- Work collaboratively with ECL Agriculture team to develop the agronomy strategic plan practices while working to maximise the crop year. Deploy individual grower improvement plans and annual performance goals that drive breakthrough results necessary to increase yield and decrease cost.
- Develop and disseminate advice to achieve optimum plant health and productivity through Best Management Practices relating to crop nutrients, crop protectants and field or storage management.
- Work with ECL Field Representatives to maintain, report and analyse data on crop development throughout the growing season. Build a knowledge of potato production and the industry that supports strategic recommendations to influence business decisions throughout the crop cycle.
- Lead the trialing and commercialisation of higher yield/low cost varieties in Zambia. Participate in the ECL Agronomy variety review and recommendation process.
- Participate in the research, evaluation, and extension of new technologies and influence grower adoption of new technologies. Collaborate with public research institutions and private companies to leverage regional agriculture expertise.
- Attend relevant industry meetings to maintain and expand current knowledge base on potato production in Zambia.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree coupled with related experience in Plant Science, Soil Science or Agricultural.
- Knowledge of soya production and storage is preferred.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and computer skills, particularly in Excel.
- Knowledge of and willingness to develop new agronomic techniques.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
- This position is most suited to an individual who demonstrates leadership skills and has the desire and ability to contribute and grow within the Essential Commodities Limited.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of seasonal and hourly staff.
- Public speaking skills are a valuable asset.
- A strong bias towards workplace safety
To apply for this job please visit essentialcom.biz .