UNDP (in close cooperation with WHO and UNICEF) will support the Ministry of Health in Zambia to strengthen the capacities of seven District Medical Health Offices to provide immunization basic services to population, living in remote areas. Under a separate Health System Strengthening (HSS) grant from GAVI, seven Districts will receive equipment (computers, vehicles, motorbikes, boats and bicycles) and funding to do trainings and mentorship visits to health facilities, in addition to signing performance contracts with health facilities and community health workers. These seven districts were chosen because all of them have low immunization coverage. A total of US$749,000 has been set aside for programme and performance based payments.
The Districts will be required to budget and account for the funding received from GAVI using an automated accountancy tool, called Navision. After the rollout of Navision to the seven Districts by other partners, UNDP will provide further mentorship or support to the correct use of Navision, including timely (donor) reporting and asset management for GAVI. This will directly contribute to better planned activities and improve accountability of the seven District Medical Offices for the assets and funds received from GAVI, but it will also improve their program delivery, as delays in disbursements due to missing/incomplete reports will be minimalized.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Administrative Assistant ensures smooth functioning of the projects mentioned. The Administrative Assistant (AA) provides leadership for the administrative functions. The Administrative Assistant also serves as focal point for all communications and appointments with the Program Manager coming from the internal and external partners.
Summary of Key Functions
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the projects
- Ensures provision of effective communications support
- Provides support to effective advocacy of activities;
- Provide efficient administrative support to the projects
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management
- The Administrative Assistant ensures the following responsibilities
Ensures smooth functioning of the projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Manages the schedule/calendar for the Inclusive Growth and SDGs Unit with external and internal parties including visitors from external organizations, other UN agencies, National institutions, HQ and country office staff, as well as internal and external meetings, determining priority requirements;
- Undertake all travel arrangements for the Inclusive Growth and SDGs Unit including coordination of logistics and transport officers and fleet management complying with the organization’s rule and regulations;
- Preparation of briefing materials for appointments, meetings, missions;
- Maintenance of rosters of important contacts and telephone lists;
- Preparation of moderately complex correspondence and making follow-up when required;
- Management of email and correspondence flow, ensuring prioritization and effective follow-up.
Ensures provision of effective communications support to the Inclusive Growth and SDGs Unit focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Review of correspondence for proper clearance; distributes outgoing correspondence cleared or signed by the OiC;
- Direct responses to inquiries or redirect them to the substantive focal points within the team;
- Maintenance of the filing system;
- Coordination of the information flow in the project teams and follow up;
- Facilitation of information sharing between OiC and CO Senior Management;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken;
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
Provides support to effective advocacy of the UNDP activities in close consultation with OiC focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Supports the OiC in facilitating his/her interaction with various external partners;
- Maintenance of information on the OiC’s official activities;
- Preparation of public information materials/ folders as requested;
- Organize official meetings for the OiC.
Provides administrative support to the Inclusive Growth and SDGs Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for travel;
- Maintenance of internal expenditures control system with ensures that Requisitions and POs are processed in Atlas;
- Act as Focal Point for the UNDP assets including low value assets used and control;
- Act as custodian of the existing inventories and perform periodic physical count of them;
- Procurement of office supplies for the Inclusive Growth and SDGs Unit and of UNDP inventories as custodian (inclusive of periodic physical count of UNDP inventories).
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by OiC.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside UNDP;
- Ensures project staff to share knowledge.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior.
- Secondary Education with specialized administrative or office management training;
- University Degree or equivalent in Business Administration or International Relations or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, HTML etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Previous UN experience a significant advantage;
- Fluency in English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.partneragencies.net .