Senior Project Geoscientist – Rio Tinto Exploration
· Join our dynamic team and lead exciting explorations projects
· Well-resourced exploration group with proven track record of discovery
· Role based in Lusaka, Zambia
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Project Geoscientist to join the RTX team. This challenging role offers to work on major explorations exploration programs, design and execute exploration projects, lead a project team with responsibility for the effectiveness of the team and provide high level specialist services.
Reporting to the Principal Geoscientist you will:
· Manage project resources effectively, applying exploration techniques and technologies, compiling and interpreting geological data and information, collaborating with multi-functional teams, fulfilling technical milestones and monitoring project progress against these to enable continual project prioritization, and presenting results and recommendations to management.
· Provide specialist / discipline services at a high level of technical competence to meet project requirements.
· Support the discipline (eg. geophysics) by collaborating on and integrating technical processes to achieve project deliverables.
· Generate targets to deliver discovery by providing technical innovations, geoscientific data and available resources.
· Manage or provide specialist support to specific components of project work that may include early stage generative through to order of magnitude and handover to product group.
· Manage contractors and service providers through the tender process, content of the contract, and monitoring the contract deliverables in accordance with RT standards.
· Plan and conduct work in accordance with all HSEC and compliance policies by setting and monitoring objectives to ensure standards are met, and anticipating and managing risks.
· Ensure that exploration data and documents are properly managed throughout the discovery pipeline and that the most updated and complete version is stored in accessible databases and information systems.
· Work within the project team and region including peers in other programs/projects, and other program leaders, to ensure effective allocation of project resources (e.g. information, people, specialist knowledge, support, materials) to the project/program.
· Lead the team to continuously focus on improving the technical aspects of a project or program. Analyse performance information to identify and deliver improvement opportunities.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
· BSc degree in Geology, Earth Science or relevant fields. Masters degree is preferred.
· Minimum of 10 years of experience with green-field and near-mine exploration projects
· Technical expertise includes geological mapping, geochemical sampling and QA/QC, geophysical surveying, GIS data compilation and interpretation, and diamond and percussion drilling campaign development
· Minimum of 5 years of experience researching sediment-hosted Cu deposits in Africa, including geological mapping, three-dimensional geological and geochemical model development, and regional-scale stratigraphic and lithofacies data compilation and interpretation.
· Project development and project management skills to effectively manage resources, competing priorities and deliver project milestones
· Highly developed analytical skills to collate and interpret technical data, to measure performance outcomes and contribute to technical innovation and improvement.
· Proficiency with GIS software packages including MapInfo, Discover, Leapfrog Geo 3D, AcQuire GIS Database Management System, and familiarity with ioGas and ArcGIS software packages.
· Leadership skills to develop, mentor and coach technical/professional staff and manage contractors.
· Sound communication skills with the ability to prepare and present project recommendations. Excellent technical reporting skills.
· The ability and desire to participate in field work and travel frequently
· Ability to work productively with a wide range of people in a cross cultural, multi-language environment.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.riotinto.com .