Purpose of the job:
Sector: Energy and Environment
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
a) About GreenCo Power Services Ltd (GreenCo)
GreenCo acts as a regional intermediary off taker and service provider, purchasing power from renewable IPPs and selling that electricity to utilities and private sector off takers (i.e. commercial and industrial users) and markets of the SAPP. Through its participation in competitive power markets, GreenCo will promote cross-border power transactions and a more dynamic and liquid short-term power market. Through its activities and bankability, GreenCo will increase the supply of, and demand for, finance for energy projects, and mobilise private sector capital more quickly towards critical and transformative capacity addition. GreenCo is funded and supported by a large group of internal, multilateral organisation and impact investors.
GreenCo's vision is to lead innovation and sustainably transform renewable energy markets:
- An innovative business model with sector changing potential
- Focused on creating impact through innovative business solutions in the energy sector
- Agile start-up culture with a focus on individual responsibility and personal impact
b) Purpose of the job:
- We are looking for an ambitious Assistant Accountant to provide support to the financial & risk department by managing daily accounting, financial reporting and back office tasks. You will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances and exposure.
- Besides book keeping and processing payroll, the preparation of financial statements and reports are a large part of the Assistant accountant’s day-to-day work. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail. Additionally an affinity to digital productivity tools as well as a process and workflow oriented thinking is required.
The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the department and help the company be fully aware of its financial condition. This way it can make the right decisions and accomplish long term success.
c) Key duties overview:
- Post and process journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Update accounts receivable and payables, issue invoices and perform reconciliations
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines
- Assist with reviewing of expenses, payroll records etc. as assigned
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed
- Assist senior accountants in the preparation of monthly/yearly closings and other accounting projects
- Ensures files are indexed, verified, and available in accordance with company policies, industry standards, and legal regulations
- Maintains financial records for subsidiary companies by analyzing balance sheets and general ledger accounts
- Reconciles general and subsidiary bank accounts by gathering and balancing information
- Provides financial status information by preparing special reports; completing special projects
- Maintains accounting controls by following policies and procedures; complying with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications
c) Qualifications and Requirements:
The candidate is expected to bring a combination of the following experience, personal attributes and qualifications:
- Proven experience (2-3 years) as a Assistant accountant
- Excellent organizing abilities
- Great attention to detail & confidentiality
- Good with numbers and figures and an analytical acumen
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles (IFRS) and practices
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) and familiarity with relevant accounting software
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- BSc/Ba in accounting, finance or relevant field
- Qualifications (ACA, ACCA or CIMA) and Certifications (CA, ZICA) is a plus but not required
This is a full-time role and whilst the normal working week is 40 hours, it is expected that the ideal candidate will be prepared to both work and travel as required to fulfil the objectives of the business.
We are looking forward to your application at www.africagreenco.com/careers