- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of Role
Conducting laboratory leach & flotation test work, plant surveys, executing plant reagent and other trials. Developing solutions for improving leach & concentrate recoveries and concentrate quality. Standing in for metallurgists on an ad hoc basis.
- Develop an in depth understanding of the various Metallurgical Processes
- Evaluate recovery and concentrate quality improvement opportunities via laboratory leach, flotation test work and plant trials.
- Conducting plant surveys, interpreting results and providing feedback via formal reports and presentations.
- Developing mass balance and assisting in the evaluation of test/plant data.
- Liaise and communicate verbally and in writing with other sections and departments to ensure timely availability of relevant information to appropriate personnel for efficient plant performance.
- Perform Metallurgist duties on an ad hoc stand-in basis.
- Ensure procedures are complied with for all laboratory functions.
- Adhere to statutory and domestic regulations in particular those regarding to safe working practices in order to minimise injury to personnel and damage to company assets. Implement and update the quality assurance system, documentation and manuals etc.
- Any other duties as required
Hold a degree or diploma in metallurgy, chemical engineering, mineral processing or relevant discipline acceptable to become a member of the engineering institute of Zambia as per Act No.27 of 1992.
- A minimum of 1-year relevant experience in a plant environment is desired.
- Strong analytical, data analysis and cognitive skills. Problem solving expertise would be an advantage.
- Experience conducting laboratory leach & flotation test work and working in an operational environment would be an advantage
- Teamwork – build relationships based on trust and respect
- Bold – internal locus of control
- Initiative – self starter
- Tenacious – driven
- Works with minimum supervision
- Results orientated – balance quality and quantity of work.
- Overtime work when required.
- Have a valid driving licence
- Be free of physical and mental impediments which hamper the execution of required duties within specified time frames