- Company: Coca-Cola Beverages Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The primary role of the team leader packaging is to lead the SBU in the execution of the production plan, ensuring that product meets all quality specifications, asset care through autonomous maintenance tasks and the resolution of production problems. Within each work practice, the team leader is responsible for. The role will manage and lead the Packaging Team of Artisans, Operators and Quality Controllers with the intent to ensure the overall targets are achieved via best operating practices. The role reports to Unit Production Manager.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
1. People practices
- Coach team members in the correct execution of their tasks (operational and technical).
- Check and ensure that team members monitor process input and outputs in order to obtain the desired results
- Develop team members and ensure that training needs are identified and closed out via one-on-one’s and performance reviews.
- Drives performance management practices (e.g. Performance Management Way – leading the development of team goals and carrying out team meetings and team goal review sessions.
- Manage human resource availability, leave and resource deployment
- Drive team member development
2. To drive WCM initiatives on own shift
- Communicates work practice deployment plans and ensures team buy-in
- Coaches team members on work practice Implementation
- Coaches team members situational problem solving
- Ensures that team members implement and adhere to divisional standards
- Conducts work practice maturity assessments and/or line walkabouts for own shift to ensure that best practices are being applied correctly and are entrenched
3. Operating and Process Control
- Ensuring that team members understand and adhere to the operational, quality and process standards, work instructions and maintenance schedules, work practice deployment plans and performance target.
- Review and sign off of shift performance (QCDSM) and ensuring that all required administrative tasks in support of the production team are carried out.
- Decide on course of action to resolve problems where production problems have been escalated
- Identify the need for updating of work instructions and ensure resources are made available to do the update
- Ensure safety and housekeeping standards are adhered to
4. Maintenance of Plant and Equipment
- Check that the team members, carry out required autonomous maintenance tasks and any required running repairs on shift in accordance with work instructions and maintenance schedules
- Ensure that the process artisan carries out repairs on shift and coaches the team members on autonomous maintenance activities and carries out work in support of the maintenance specialists.
- Participates in maintenance planning meetings to highlights maintenance problems requiring attention.
- Communicate the maintenance plan to team members
- Plan the allocation of team members to specific autonomous maintenance tasks
- Initiate the creation of emergency works orders and provide input into the completion thereof
- Ensure that the process artisan takes part in maintenance and cleaning days in support of maintenance specialist and takes part in maintenance post mortems.
- Where maintenance issues have been escalated to the team leader, the team leader with the brewing technician artisan must provide guidance and call in additional resources if required.
5. Quality Control and Analysis
- Ensure that the team members understand and adhere to quality standards
- Carry out quality trend analysis to identify problems and decide on appropriate course of action to resolve issues
- Ensures that problem solving takes place to identify/rectify the root cause of quality issues
- Ensures that the appropriate quality information is logged as per schedule (manually and/or electronically)
- Communicate team goals and regularly review to ensure team alignment
- Prepare for the daily shift meeting by reviewing past shift performance and identifying issues for team discussion.
- Ensure that visual management boards are updated prior shift meetings
- Lead the daily shift meeting, making use of a standard agenda, and ensuring that team members actively partake.
- Ensure that issues and opportunities raised during the daily shift meetings are recorded on the gap list for action, and that these actions have accountabilities and due dates assigned.
- Communicate the production schedule, shift production and overall shift performance and other relevant business information to team members.
- Conduct an end of shift meeting with the team to communicate production performance, problems, planned schedule and work assignments
- Conduct a hand-over meeting with incoming shift team leader. Issues to be communicated include process performance, quality, production schedule, problems and issues.
7. Problem solving
- Coach and support team members in using the correct problem solving techniques (such as 5Why, quick fix, OPL’s etc.) to solve situational problems.
- Where problems have been escalated, decide on an appropriate course of action; e.g. calling in specialist resources.
- Where problems have been resolved, verify that the problem has been eliminated and ensure that work instructions are updated
Skills, Experience & Education
- Minimum requirement: Technical diploma; Qualified artisan or 3 year relevant technical/production related tertiary qualification
- O Level: Grade 12 Certificate with 5 Credits or better Professional membership: Fully paid member of Engineering Institute of Zambia
- Preferably: Engineering degree (Mechanical or Electrical) Experience
- 3 years technical and leadership experience in a FMCG environment Added advantage: Experience in Blow Molding Competencies Knowledge:
- Understanding of The Manufacturing Way / WCM / Lean practices and principles
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of Packaging processes
- MS Office skills
- A self-starter with high energy levels.
- Ability to identify gaps and initiate improvement activities.
- Understanding of SHE policies and procedures
- The People Way and Company labour relations practices
Skills and Attributes:
- Proven Leadership skills and management capability
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – clear capability and credibility to influence at shop floor level.
- Good problem solving capability
- Is a logical thinker with the ability to determine quick solutions when problems arise
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality is non-negotiable.
- Ability to train and coach own team.
- Ability to be pragmatic, and able to place equal emphasis on quality and productivity
- Negotiation skills