Superintendent Nickel Processing
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
25 October 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
As a key member of the Enterprise, the Superintendent Nickel Processing is accountable for the operating strategy and efficient operation of the crushing (primary & pebble), conveying, milling, classification, flotation and concentrate thickening operations of the Process Plant to maximise production and minimise costs, while ensuring operational sustainability; The role has a focus on daily-monthly optimisation. More precisely, the timeline of the role is organised around two stages:
• Prepare the current brownfield plant operational readiness (processing strategies, systems, staffing, skills development, commissioning support) and support the transition into operations.
• Longer term operation of the Nickel plant during pre-commercial production and commercial production phases.
Specific Job Responsibility
• Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations;
• The role has equipment and operations personnel accountability from the 2x crushers to the flotation tails pumps and concentrate storage tank;
• Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the nickel plant;
• Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly;
• Maintain a very high standard of plant housekeeping;
• Build the operational readiness plan for the processing function of the nickel value chain and ensure its integration with upstream, downstream and support functions;
• Implement the structure, manning levels and resources to deliver to enable the operational readiness and smooth transition into operations;
• Closely follow-up on the completion and commissioning phases of the brownfield plant to align to it operational readiness activities and operations.
• Ensure change and knowledge management systems are in place during the operational readiness phase and aligned with plant operations.
• Oversee daily to monthly operations and metallurgical activities of the plant and personnel to ensure optimised plant utilization and metallurgical performance;
• Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI’s of plant throughput, product quality and yield in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner;
• Monitor, control and report on performance indicators, plant activities and operational shortfalls;
• Manage, track and report continuous improvement activities to deliver improved operational and metallurgical performance;
• Ensure high availability and utilisation of critical in-line instrumentation;
• Develop and nurture strong relationships with all stakeholders on the nickel value chain, inclusive of mining to enable a strong mine-to-mill integration; Build a ‘team’ environment with geology, mine planning, maintenance, maintenance planning, reliability engineering, R&D metallurgical engineering, process control, business optimisation, data systems, utilities and services operations, and operations personnel; Take ownership in developing these interactions to the benefit of the team and the operation.
• Ensure the diagnosis of plant defects is conducted, focusing on identifying root cause, and then the implementation of both corrective and preventative measures;
• Approve weekly and monthly maintenance plans;
• Ensure both short and long term equipment plans and schedules (both maintenance and production tasks) are in place to deliver equipment capability; Support maintenance in the delivery of their tasks and equipment reliability;
• Define, prioritise, obtain approval for and implement capital improvement projects;
• Lead the nickel processing team, composed of expatriates and nationals, to consistently deliver and exceed expectations;
• Maintain staff development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and coaching to the national staff;
• Identify and actively manage succession planning for key roles;
• Contribute to the quarterly and annual operations production budget/forecasts; Prepare the annual operations budget and provide quarterly forecasts;
• Control, report and reduce operational costs;
• Implement FQM Way culture across Comminution team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together;”
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the direct supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
• Significant experience in a complex base metals processing plant(s);
• Preferably experienced in nickel circuits; copper experience is beneficial.
• Exposure to minerals processing plant design or metallurgical optimisation.
• Computer literacy and English language fluency are required.
• Being conversant with modern data management and visualisation tools, such as PowerBi, is beneficial.
Key Job Attributes
• Strong commitment to SHEC performance;
• Good leadership and motivational skills, with ability to get work done through others;
• Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability;
• Strong ability to task assign, build working relations and coordinate different operating disciplines to create a multidisciplinary “team” environment;
• Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans;
• Possess ability to analyse and understand complex metallurgical information;
• Strong understanding of metallurgical process improvement and control strategies;
• Possess the management discipline and perseverance to develop and implement medium to long term plans;
• Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for large-scale, continuous operating mineral processing plants;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
• Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
• Be diligent and thorough in approach;
• Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner;
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
• A minimum of 10 years of direct experience in operational roles, with particular focus on comminution and flotation;
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience at a Senior Supervisory or Management;
• A Tertiary Qualification in Extractive Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or related field;
• Eligibility for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ), and to hold legal appointment as defined by the Mining Regulations of Zambia.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.